• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Carb'd Ford 302 Fuel Lines?

thegrabo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello All,

I have seen a few posts on here talking about plumbing fuel lines for carburetors in V8 swaps. Most recommend using a return style fuel regulator, how necessary is this return line. What is its purpose?

I already have a MR. GASKET 9710 regulator with no return, is this workable. Is it possible to somehow add a return line with a T fitting, seems like that is how alot of the vapor lock fuel filters are built. However, it seems like the fluid would take the path of least resistance and just avoid the carb then.

Finally, the tank has quick connect fittings on a harder type of fuel line, how do I properly adapt this to my regulator anyhow. Do I splice it and use a fuel line fitting to change tubing types so I can use the softer lines to fit over my regulator's barbs? (I have no knowledge on anything fuel related so I am looking for the safe way to do it)

The vehicle is a 2wd 1987 Ford Ranger with a Ford 302

Thanks

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You don't necessarily need a return line but since the truck was built with one from the factory, it could be to your benefit to use it and specifically because of the vapor lock prevention deal.
Personally I would use the stock pump and fuel lines up to the filter - then run your own lines from the filter to the regulator - easy to do with a short piece of rubber hose and the factory push on quick connect at the filter, just use a razor blade to cut off the nylon line from the fitting. You can use a short piece of rubber and a barb fitting to go from the regulator to the return line. Those factory nylon lines are kind of a pain but if you heat the end up in hot water, you can quickly slip a barb fitting into them and the nylon will shrink to fit.

thegrabo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You don't necessarily need a return line but since the truck was built with one from the factory, it could be to your benefit to use it and specifically because of the vapor lock prevention deal.
Personally I would use the stock pump and fuel lines up to the filter - then run your own lines from the filter to the regulator - easy to do with a short piece of rubber hose and the factory push on quick connect at the filter, just use a razor blade to cut off the nylon line from the fitting. You can use a short piece of rubber and a barb fitting to go from the regulator to the return line. Those factory nylon lines are kind of a pain but if you heat the end up in hot water, you can quickly slip a barb fitting into them and the nylon will shrink to fit.
Hello Shran, thanks for the reply. All that information sounds reasonable to me. I think I will give it a try. Can I just buy a generic 3/8inch fuel barb from o reillys and use that as the adpater from nylon to rubber?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Hello Shran, thanks for the reply. All that information sounds reasonable to me. I think I will give it a try. Can I just buy a generic 3/8inch fuel barb from o reillys and use that as the adpater from nylon to rubber?
I think 3/8 will be too big, you might have to use 5/16 or an oddball size if you can find one. The nylon factory lines are different sizes, one is 5/16 I think and the other is smaller. Use whatever you think will fit really snugly inside the nylon. But to answer your question - yes you can just use generic barb fittings.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I could never get my Mr Gasket regulator to do anything. It probably won't handle EFI pressures anyway. Most carbs like around 7psi and are VERY sensitive to pressure, an EFI system runs like 35-40psi.

Return style regulator is best, as fuel is compressed deadheading against a non return regulator it gets hot and adds strain to the pump. Return style what doesn't get used in the engine gets cycled back to the tank which keeps it cooler and is easier on the pump.

The nylon fuel line in my '85 (which was carbed originally) I had to sand down a 1/4" barb to fit in the line, I suspect it was something like 6mm. If you can find a fuel line kit that would fit that size of line that would probably be best.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals