• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Carb size???? need some help

1988broncoll

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a early 70's 302 in my 89 B2 It has a 670 cfm holly carb on it. It is a fairly stock motor with the exception of possibly having a small cam and it has a weind intake on it. other then that its stock right down to the points dizzy (will be changing that as soon as i get the extra cash) Anyway back to the topic I know this carb is over kill for this motor. What size carb do yous think would be best for it? I am going to be leaving the motor pretty much the way it is besides updating the dizzy once I get the money and that will pretty much be it.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
500 cfm is plenty, 600 would be good with a little more mods. 670 is way overkill.
i would go with an edelbrock. there easy to tune and are ready to run right outta the box.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The 670 is not overkill. It's only going to open the secondaries as far as the engine needs the flow. A 570 would give better throttle response, but the 670 is fine with your motor. Keep it unless you run across a really good deal on something smaller like a 570

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
go with the Edelbrock 500cfm 4bbl, runs perfect out the box. I had a 650 on my 302 and it ran like horse shit, and no power. The 500 made a HUGE difference.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
The 670 is not overkill. It's only going to open the secondaries as far as the engine needs the flow. A 570 would give better throttle response, but the 670 is fine with your motor. Keep it unless you run across a really good deal on something smaller like a 570
Having a 4x4 B2, he's probably looking for good low-end throttle response. The engine will not draw enough vacuum for that large of a carb to meter fuel properly. Agreed, about the 570cfm Street Avenger from holley though. It is small enough that the near stock engine can draw enough air to meter fuel properly down low while giving him a little freedom to upgrade "go-fast" parts in the future without having to invest in yet another carb.

PS: The smaller carb will make tuning it WAY easier.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Having a 4x4 B2, he's probably looking for good low-end throttle response. The engine will not draw enough vacuum for that large of a carb to meter fuel properly. Agreed, about the 570cfm Street Avenger from holley though. It is small enough that the near stock engine can draw enough air to meter fuel properly down low while giving him a little freedom to upgrade "go-fast" parts in the future without having to invest in yet another carb.

PS: The smaller carb will make tuning it WAY easier.
I ran a 3310 750 on a mild 302 and it was fine on the bottom end. Not optimum, but it was OK. The primary side of a 670 is 335 cfm, which is fine for a 302. And he can regulate the secondary side by a simple vaccum spring change, going to a heavier spring. That'll cost him about $10 for a Holley spring pack. Now if you're talking about a 650 DP carb that's a whole nother story.

Last edited:

1988broncoll

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Im looking to replace the carb mainly because it has no choke and everything has been taken off of it for the choke and I am going to be using it as a DD. The truck right now with 3.73.s feels like trying to take off in a 2.9 until you get till about 30 then it really starts to move but one is the vaccum line for the trans isnt quite right and I want to get rid of the 70s points dizzy and go with a msd box and elec dizzy. I like holley products better then edelbroks personal opion

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Fix the vacuum line first of all. Personally I'd also much rather go with a Duraspark distributor and module than aftermarket because you're not going to gain anything with a stock motor.

1988broncoll

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ive never messed with the dura spark stuff. the vaccum line is ran into the back of the intake I think its the modulator on the trans. I can shift it manual good but on its own it is in 3rd gear by the time i hit 15mph and it doesnt down shift at all until i slow down to like 5 mph

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Do you have the kickdown rod hooked up?

Duraspark is incredibly easy to set up...it's essentially a power wire and a ground for the module, and one other for the coil if I remember right. It is no harder than setting up an MSD system or whatever and you can find everything you need at a junkyard.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Im looking to replace the carb mainly because it has no choke and everything has been taken off of it for the choke and I am going to be using it as a DD. The truck right now with 3.73.s feels like trying to take off in a 2.9 until you get till about 30 then it really starts to move but one is the vaccum line for the trans isnt quite right and I want to get rid of the 70s points dizzy and go with a msd box and elec dizzy. I like holley products better then edelbroks personal opion
Have you tried advancing the timing ? If it's set to factory specs (6*BTDC) there's one thing that's causing the poor bottom end. Advance it to 12-14* BTDC and that alone should wake it up. Replacing the points with a Pertronix unit (or any of the other drop in conversions) and adding a hotter coil will also help with cold starts. The 570 I have on my Ranger has no choke either. That was the first thing I removed. Cold starts and idles on it's own down to 25*F. If you still want a Holley choke, send me $10 and I'll mail one to you, I've got a box of em collecting dust in the shop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals