• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can't get front brake cable and new rear cables to meet

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you have the parking brakes adjusted the right way?

Did you adjust them tighter instead of slackening them?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Bring it over. Ill look at it tomorrow.

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you have the parking brakes adjusted the right way?

Did you adjust them tighter instead of slackening them?
What do you mean "right way"? Brake hardware is new, adjuster/star wheels are about 1-2 turns from tight against and cables are installed and hanging. They just won't meet up with the front cable?

Thanks,

vmuschler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So have you solved this issue? I am struggling also, although last night it woke me and I thought wonder if the peddle has a release and from this forum it apparently does so will be searching for that today.

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So 8 months have passed and I decided to revisit my issue. I ran he truck w/o a parking brake since last March. I bought a new front cable, exactly the same length as the one in the truck. I bought both new rear cables again but different brand, Raybestos. Both cables are the exact same length as the cables I installed back in March. So nothing has changed. I took everything apart and put it back together. All the same. I used a ratchet strap to pull the front cable as far as it will go. I pulled the bake release. The cable can come no further. I am still about 4 inches from the cable connecting to the coupler on the front cable. I thought for sure something would come out different but I am still in the same predicament. I have 5 new cables, three different brands and I still cannot get it hooked up.

At the brake mechanism the cable lug end is about 11:00 with the cable pulled completely out and held by the ratchet strap.

Picture

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Is the cable in the cab seated through the firewall t the same depth as the old one was?

Are the new rear lines fully mounted/ attached? Leaving them loose until everything is connected might help.

You say all the cables are the same length as the old. So, that should rule out having cables from the wrong wheel base.

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The very original rear cables were cut off. So I don’t know how they compare with newly purchased cables. ll new cable are the same length as each other over different brands. I took the old front cable off and it’s identical in length as the new cable.

When I bought this Ranger last year. The rear brakes would lock up when you barely touched them. It was during a snowy day and I took a wire cutter to relive the tension. I then bought new cables for the rear. Installed them and they would fall short from coupling to the front cable. Thinking I was given faulty (short) cables I bought another set of another brand. Both the Wagner and Duralast are the same length. That was last March. Out of frustration I stopped and ran the truck without parking brakes attached. Thus week I decided to revisit the issue. This week I bought all three new cables (Raybestos) and the front matches the old front cable. The two cables match up with the spring end length, sheath length, cable length and the stick out length at the front of the cable. After all this I still have the issue.

I’m looking to see if the mechanism has an issue. Is it now unwinding fully? Completely unwound the lug in the end of the cable is at the 9:00 position if you look at the parking brake mechanism like a clock. Should it unwind closer to 1:00 direction?

I have so many duplicate parts and they all are correct for the 1993 extended cab but nothing allows me to connect the front cable to the rear cable using the proper cable coupling.

there is evidence a previous owner was working around the mechanism as the switch wire has a crimp slice. Do did the P. O. Change out the mechanism? I don’t know? I have a mechanism from another Ranger, i think a ‘95? I may try to use it if I can’t figure this out? The mechanism in the truck has the tension pin hole. The newer mechanism does not.

I have disassembled the rear brakes and hooked up the cables. However when I reassemble the rear brakes everything is tight and parking brake spreads the shoes and cannot get the drum back on.
Thanks

Last edited:

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
The title describes my last date.

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So today I installed the new Raybestos cables, front and right rear & left rear. Despite a lot of aggravation getting the front cable in, I am still at the same situation. This time at the coupler I hooked up the left cable to the front coupler, now I must get the right cable connected to the other coupler (red arrows). For the life of me I have no idea what is wrong? Cables are all the same length over three brands so I doubt it's a cable. Got no clue?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals