• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can door key cylinders be "Re-Keyed"?

IronTom

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 Level 2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Hello all,

I recently purchased 2003 Ranger FX4 Level 2. It came with one original key and the remote key fob. This key only opens the passenger door and works with the ignition. The drive door has a different key cylinder.

Can a door key cylinder be "re-keyed" by a locksmith, or does a new cylinder need to be ordered?

Cheers,
Tom

PS: I plan on getting a second key made

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
I haven’t yet done it, but the cylinders can indeed be re-keyed. Door cylinder should be a wafer style, using flat plates with springs.

With a second key, I would highly recommend getting a locksmith that can program it into the computer or if you have Forscan or someone who has a code reader that can do key programming, do it that way. Most “hardware” stores and stuff can cut you a key chip, but they use a machine to “clone” the chip in your key. Which works, but as far as the computer in the vehicle cares, you still only have one key, which means you can’t program new keys yourself. Not really the end of the world unless the computer happens to forget that key. Also, with programming new keys directly into the computer, they can delete the keys you don’t have that are stored in there, so anyone who might still have a key to your truck can no longer start it.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
is it really a different cylinder, or maybe just gunked up enough that it doesn't work?
my 2005 does that, needs cleaning occasionally.
worn keys don't help the issue either.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

Yes, any lock, vehicle or home, can be changed to match a key for that type of lock
What I would do is to order/get a new door lock cylinder then take that to a locksmith and have them re-key it to match your current key
Drivers door locks get worn out way faster than passenger door lock
Then swap out the old for the new

Also while at the locksmith have them CLONE your current working PATS(transponder) key and cut it to match
This is the least expensive option to have a spare working key

A locksmith can add new PATS keys using a laptop hooked up to the vehicle, but costs more, its a 45-90min process to add new keys
But in this process he can erase all the old PATS keys, so previous owners can't start the engine, if they have/find a lost key :)

You can add new Fobs yourself, easy to do, this also erases all the old Fobs no longer in your possession, its just part of the re-programming of the Fobs you do have

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
A locksmith should be able to rekey a cylinder. I've done it without the right tools but the end results aren't too pretty as you have to get the stainless outer deal off to get the cylinder apart, it didn't go back on the cleanest...

IronTom

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4 Level 2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Thank you all for the advice and recommendations. I am ordering a new Strattec, pn 5918997 w/Jewel logo key (PATS II) and door lock cylinder... Then off to the locksmith to have the key programmed and the cylinder re-keyed.

Cheers,
Tom

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I had no trouble rekeying new door locks. Of course the older locks are probably simpler.
I bought a set of door cylinders for an Explorer and changed the pins to match my ignition key. Now I just wish I new how to change the glove box key..

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The old cylinders are much simpler, they just have the metal clip over the pins outside of the cylinder, you don't have to take the trim piece off to get them apart, on the newer ones the trim piece holds the mess together and everything comes out the front instead of the back. On my '90 someone tried to break into it with a screwdriver back in the day and I got a new cylinder from the junkyard and rekeyed that easy as pie, when I went to fix the '97 since I didn't get it with the stock drivers door I had to get more inventive, it's not using all the pins but it's enough...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

TRS Events

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Rick W
October Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals