• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Buying a 97 ranger, few questions

97_xlt_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/ Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I am picking up a 97 XLT, ext cab, 4wd ranger on Saturday and was curious things i should check/look out for. It is in immaculate shape, garage kept its whole life and only has 36k miles on it. It hasn't been on the road in a long long time, but drove around their farm just to keep things moving. I'm not new to vehicles but new to rangers. I know most vehicles have little things that go bad over time so was curious if you guys have any recommendations when i start going over it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Used Ranger buyers guide here: https://www.therangerstation.com/ford-rangers-buyers-guide/

1997 was last year of 2nd generation, 1993-1997, or 3rd generation depending on who you ask, lol

It had 3 engine options, 2.3l 4cyl, 3.0l Vulcan V6 or 4.0l OHV V6
All were good reliable engines

If automatic trans the 2.3l and 3.0l would have 4R44E model, 4.0l OHV could have 4R55E or 5R55E, but same thing, lol
Same basic automatic was used in Rangers from 1985 to 2011, just more solenoids added in 1995, 26 year run, so good reliable transmission, but like ALL automatics expensive to repair if not serviced

If manual then its an M5OD-R1, used from 1988 to 2011, also reliable, uses ATF not Gear oil

4x4 transfer case is a BW1354, also reliable, came in Manual or electric shift, if electric then the GEM module controlled the shifting of transfer case
It came with Automatic hubs to lock and unlock front wheels in 4WD and 2WD, they worked fine if serviced and not over greased, but many owners switched to manual hubs if there were issues in locking and unlocking

Because of the low miles you will start to have lots of small leaks if you change it to a daily driver, just one of the drawbacks with "low milers", sitting causes seals and gaskets to dry out
Just have to fix the leaks as they come up

If automatic I would have trans serviced ASAP, and oil change for engine, if you buy it

You can pay Ford about $150 to do an inspection(on any used Ford) before or after buying and they will tell you whats OK and want needs attention

Last edited:

97_xlt_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/ Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome reply and thanks. It is the 4.0 and automatic so that gives me some things to start with and I doubt I daily it but it will be driven a few days a week so I’ll keep my eye out for leaks. I may look into the Ford inspection actually as that would tell me a lot and 150 isn’t bad at all. I’ll post some pictures once I get it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 4.0l OHV 1990-2000 should never be allowed to over heat, pull over and let it cool down, as it WILL crack a head, no maybe, it WILL
So pay attention to the cooling system
Its not a chicken and egg thing, heads don't just crack, lol, so totally in your control as to how hot you let it get
It normally runs with temp gauge just below 1/2, 190degF, if you ever see it approaching 3/4 pull over :)

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Nice find. I have had my 97 XLT with the 4.0/ Automatic and 4x4 for going on 17 years now, and it is close to 195k miles. I would trust it to go pretty much anywhere. Like RonD said, keep the engine from overheating. With only 36k and garage kept, it is likely not going to have rust issues, but take a good look at the spring hangers and shackles. common rust point on Rangers. keep an eye on them as you own it as well. the fuel neck is another fail point on Rangers, the rubber dries out and cracks, so when you fill it up it will leak gas all over. easy replacement, about 40 bucks for the part on Rock auto and maybe an hour to do depending on how you go about it.

Change the transmission fluid and oil pretty fast. also I would consider flushing and changing the coolant as well.

Welcome to TRS btw

AJ

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, that era seemed to have fuel filler neck issues for whatever reason... my '90 has been on and off and through heck and it's still fine, the one on my '97 is screwed... it has nylon pipe tape around the cracks at the moment...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals