• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II hot start issues

robotzombies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
33"
1989 Bronco II XLT 2.9l manual transmission

I've been having a problem lately where the truck won't start when hot. Both when the engine is hot and when the temperature outside is hot. It will pretty much always start first time in the morning; any other time, it will start, but after a couple of tries, and those tries involve slamming the clutch pedal to the floor.

It doesn't turn over at all. I get silence when I try to start it (the threads on the forum talking about the hot start issue tend to talk about the truck being able to turn over). The truck seems to run fine when it does start, no sputtering/fuel issues, everything works, battery gauge sits at about 13 volts. I've already replaced the coolant temp sensor.

Any ideas? My guess would be something with the clutch pedal, but I don't know where to start with that.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Next time it happens, put the e-brake on, put shifter into neutral, key on and use a screwdriver to jump between the small and big terminal on the fender solenoid. That will take the clutch safety switch out of the equation.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Is there a way to bypass the clutch safety for the member?

Also could be starter. If the starter is weak the heat can make it do weird things.

robotzombies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
33"
Next time it happens, put the e-brake on, put shifter into neutral, key on and use a screwdriver to jump between the small and big terminal on the fender solenoid. That will take the clutch safety switch out of the equation.
I was able to bypass the solenoid, and I ended up replacing it. Still have the same issue, even with the replacement.

I'll see if I can get the starter tested. I think I will also check out the ignition to see if anything looks out of place or wrong.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was able to bypass the solenoid, and I ended up replacing it. Still have the same issue, even with the replacement.

I'll see if I can get the starter tested. I think I will also check out the ignition to see if anything looks out of place or wrong.
The solenoid wasn't what I was suggesting testing/replacing, it was the clutch switch.
The clutch switch is up by the pivot of the clutch pedal, it will have two wires going to it. If the clutch is not depressed the switch will not allow the engine to crank.
Jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver bypasses the clutch switch.

robotzombies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
33"

Also could be starter. If the starter is weak the heat can make it do weird things.
I am currently and temporarily bypassing one of the functions of the switch by connecting the 2 pink wires going into the switch connector. I think these wires control the ability of the truck to start when the clutch is depressed. So far, the bypass seems to work.

The solenoid wasn't what I was suggesting testing/replacing, it was the clutch switch.
The clutch switch is up by the pivot of the clutch pedal, it will have two wires going to it. If the clutch is not depressed the switch will not allow the engine to crank.
Jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver bypasses the clutch switch. .
I think you're right in thinking it's the switch. Like I mentioned, I've bypassed it for now. I bought a new switch, so when I get some time, I'll install it to see if it fixes the problem.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals