• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bronco 2 -sunroof

rphill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 86 bronco 2 with pop-up sun roof- I want to take entire glass out to work on seal -I have removed the two screws up front on hinges and some of the round crank handle but still cant lift out --any ideals --also anybody know of suppliers of the seals for this --thank you ,pat

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
@RobbieD

I have thoughts on sunroofs... not good.

^this guy probably has something to offer.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
"Round crank" sounds like an OEM unit. I'll see if there's anything on it in the shop manual.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I have a 86 bronco 2 with pop-up sun roof- I want to take entire glass out to work on seal -I have removed the two screws up front on hinges and some of the round crank handle but still cant lift out --any ideals --also anybody know of suppliers of the seals for this --thank you ,pat
Welcome to TRS.

Here's what's in the 1986 Ford shop manual on the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) sunroof. Look carefully at the details in the drawings, and compare that your roof matches exactly. While the OEM sunroof had a round crank to raise/lower the glass, I think that I remember some aftermarket roofs having a similar design.

I'm thinking the chances are, that your roof is probably OEM. Original part numbers for the seals are E4TZ-981346-1 for the inner and E4TZ-9802C50-A for the outer, mentioned in the pages' text. I have no idea if any of these seals are still available or not. If the Ford part numbers do not come up as available or cross-reference into something current that replaces them, you may have to work with dimensions and cross section from what there is that's left, and look at the aftermarket weatherstripping suppliers.

I used to install aftermarket roofs, but it's been over 30 years since I last messed with them.

Good luck!

86 B2 sunroof 1-4.JPG

86 B2 sunroof 2-4.JPG

86 B2 sunroof 3-4.JPG

86 B2 sunroof 4-4.JPG

robotzombies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
33"
I know it's been a while since someone commented in this thread, but I installed a sunroof in my truck, and it is similar to the one in the manual that RobbieD is showing. It came from a first gen Explorer, and it has the round crank handle. If it's anything like mine, you have to crank up the glass all the way, and there are two red tabs that you push in to unlock the back from the piston that pushes it up (see first image below).

There is just a hook system on the front, so all you have to do once the back is free is lift the glass close to vertical and lift out of the attachments at the front (see second image below). Those bars you see hook into grooves on little bump outs on the frame. I believe there were actually a couple types of these connections, so this may not be exactly what yours look like.

Also, this is just some spare glass that I had, so easier to take pictures of that than the installed glass. If I get some time, I can try to take some pictures of how this all works on the installed sunroof.

I usually try to go to Bronco Graveyard or LMC Truck for odd parts, but I didn't find the sunroof rubber on either of those sites. I could have just been searching badly, though.

1684961695622.png

1684961715414.png

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals