• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake pieces fell out of Drum

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Rear brakes started making a terrible noise, so I pulled the drum off and these parts fell out. It looks like it maybe the parking brake pieces but I'm not sure. Is it safe to drive with these pieces missing.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
None of that is really for the parking brake per se. The cable is part of the auto-adjuster system, and I think the spring is as well, but it's been a while since I was in a 9" drum.

What is that 3rd piece there. It almost seems like it should be the crescent, but I can't tell.

Anyway, no, I would not drive without those if it can be avoided. Also, check to make sure your shoes are on correctly. IME the most common cause of those pieces coming out is having the shoes on backwards.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
None of that is really for the parking brake per se. The cable is part of the auto-adjuster system, and I think the spring is as well, but it's been a while since I was in a 9" drum.

What is that 3rd piece there. It almost seems like it should be the crescent, but I can't tell.

Anyway, no, I would not drive without those if it can be avoided. Also, check to make sure your shoes are on correctly. IME the most common cause of those pieces coming out is having the shoes on backwards.
In the pic is the cable, a spring and a plate type thing that was on the bottom. Not sure what its function was.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
About 3/4 of the way up the rearward shoe, is there a half-moon shaped object that the cable could have been looped around? I think that is the spring that holds the crescent. The crescent holds the cable, and the cable fell off, so it's a logical assumption.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The spring holds the shoe up tight on the top and also holds the cable guide on for the self adjuster. It was probably never assembled correctly. You will need to get a hardware kit I believe it comes with a cable guide but more than likely it needs new shoes and drum also.
If you never done drum brakes take a pic of the other side but be careful it is possable it is not correct also. If it was me I would just get new drums and shoes and two hardware kits and just do both new I also replace wheel cylinders at the same time they are cheap. Do not drive it very far until you can do it right.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
actually there are two springs that hold the cable on just thinking about it you need to park it until its right.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FYRwfKNHxw
Pretty good video here I grease the adjuster and the little pads where the shoes touch the plate. You can get the hardwre that your missing at the bone yard. Small pads are allways toward the front.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
About 3/4 of the way up the rearward shoe, is there a half-moon shaped object that the cable could have been looped around? I think that is the spring that holds the crescent. The crescent holds the cable, and the cable fell off, so it's a logical assumption.
Guess i should have not said everything fell out, i had to remove the wire, but the other 2 peices fell off, pretty sure the crescent is still ok.

Just found this myself, guess thats what ill be doing tomorrow. The pads looked ok, i just replaced them. Im pretty sure i put them on right.

Thanks for the help guys :icon_thumby:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
If the cable guide thingy falls off,the cable, will too. It looks like it just needs to be put back together. I had a do over on the LR, So I had a review. :D

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Just found this myself, guess thats what ill be doing tomorrow. The pads looked ok, i just replaced them. Im pretty sure i put them on right.
While you are in there make sure that the short thick shoe is to the front and the long thing one to the rear.

In my early days of wrenching I made a few failed attempts at replacing the rear brakes on my truck without really having a clue what I was doing an no attention to detail. I went through several sets of spring kits before asking someone who knew what they were doing and being told I had the shoes on wrong. Flipped them around and never had the problem again.

To date that has been the only thing I have seen cause that spring fall out.

In at least one instance I also lost the adjuster.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You don't really need those parts...just unscrew the line from that side and put a stopper in there...

As Meatloaf used to sing..."Three out of four ain't bad"...

Or was that two out of three?

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
You don't really need those parts...just unscrew the line from that side and put a stopper in there...

As Meatloaf used to sing..."Three out of four ain't bad"...

Or was that two out of three?
No thanks lol. Brakes are not something I want to **** off lol. Plus its $10 to fix it and I just redid the whole brakes in the rear.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
I have some pretty good pics of the drum brakes in the brake section, second page under 99 ranger brake problem. Those cables and springs go on a certain way and in a certain order. If they're not installed properly the problems will keep returning and you'll be pulling them off again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals