• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bolt on spacers

cstishenko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone else having major wheel wobbling/ hopping/ vibration issues with bolt on spacers?

I'm not happy with mine at all.

Ruford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I only now from my experience with my Toyota and I has spydertrax 1.5 spacers. Teu were fine need to be sure to clean everything under and torque the hell out of them

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
are they hub centric spacers?

cstishenko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lug centric. I know....... ugh

im getting a wobbling and hopping feel in my seat and steering wheel. i am pretty sure its the spacers... but havent pulled them off yet because im running 33s on alcoas and i think it will rub.

Ive taken everything apart twice and re installed.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
best i can say is pull them off and drive it.. even if it rubs a little it could tell you what's going on..

did you put the spacers on at the same time as the rims/tires? or afterwards? if you did it at the same time it maybe a rim or tire.. how's your steering parts? balljoints?

are they a 1" or 2" spacer? spacers put more stress on the balljoints and stuff so if you had slightly worn balljoints and then put spacers on it-- you could have multiplied your problem.

idk really, i'm just tossing out ideas seeing if i can help.

cstishenko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the support gents :)

My truck is an 07 FX4 with 50,000km (25k mi) I would suspect everything is still awesome under there.

I have 2" spacers, and I had them with the factory 31's, Duratrac 31's, and now Duratrac 33's. Same shaking and hopping... it's just getting worse being that im on bigger tires now.

Is it possible that the spacer could have warped my drum? One thing I noticed the other day, I came screaming into my underground parking and laid into the e-brake to see if both were working.... And only one wheel locked up.

Now this could be that my brakes are just out of adjustment, or does this say something more serious?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
on the e-brake; idk.... the e-brake only has pads on one side, maybe that's why. usually just the driver side i think.

the spacers shouldn't have bent anything unless you over/under torqued something wrong. idk. i'd get under there and see if i could find anything that wiggles/wobbles/shakes whatever..

get someone to sit in the truck and wiggle the steering wheel while you get under it and look around. see if there is slack anywhere.

did it start shaking when you put the spacers on? or afterwards/before?

cstishenko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Shortly after.

I have a feeling I know what I need to do... Pull the spacers off, and drive in a straight line to see if the shake goes away.

If it does. It's spacers. If it doesn't then it is down to drums/studs and or wheels.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
or... the spacers put stress on balljoints or you have a bad tie rod end or something. idc what year it is... i put ball joints in a 2010 dodge ram last week. NEVER again! lol. but its a 2010 and it already needed them. so its possible.

cstishenko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mostly coming from the rear though. I'll do some investigations tonight after work.

Ruford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have duratracs on my fj and I love them do you like yours?

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Lug centric. I know....... ugh

im getting a wobbling and hopping feel in my seat and steering wheel. i am pretty sure its the spacers... but havent pulled them off yet because im running 33s on alcoas and i think it will rub.

Ive taken everything apart twice and re installed.
im running 33's, and clear fine. you should be good if lifted.

i had a rear vibration. was warped drums. easy test: when driving at about 40, push down on your parking brake till you feel the truck start to slow. if the drums are warped, the shaking will get very rough.

cstishenko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have duratracs on my fj and I love them do you like yours?

LOVE my Duratracs. Endless amounts of offroad traction. The perfect AT tire that can truely do it all!

cstishenko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im running 33's, and clear fine. you should be good if lifted.

i had a rear vibration. was warped drums. easy test: when driving at about 40, push down on your parking brake till you feel the truck start to slow. if the drums are warped, the shaking will get very rough.
You may clear - but you missed my statement. I'm on factory Alcoas, there is a 99% chance i'll be rubbing ALL over the place.

Your test for warped drums is very valid. However.. Remember that if the spacer is causing an out of round/ not centered situation this feeling can be nearly identical as warped drums.

What I would have to do is find a set of 33's on wheels that that are known good, without spacers and do your brake test for trueness. If they're true then I know it is spacers or wheels.

I have a feeling the drums are a little warped, but I have a feeling the spacers are bad too.

cstishenko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A buddy of mine who has the identical setup, right down to tires just put on a new set of AR Daytona steel wheels and all vibration is gone. He had the same vibes.

Now... Going to a 15x10, would I have to worry about blowing a bead when in the bush? I air down to 20 psi, not much more.

Or if going 15x10, should I consider bead lock wheels?

And if I go bead lock, will I be able to balance up the wheels?

I have no experience with locks/ wide wheels. I've always run tires too wide for my wheel (poor mans bead lock)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals