• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bfg mud terrain vs. super swamper tsl radial

slinky

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'm looking into investing some more agressive tires for the project. as of right now all i can clear max is a thin 31. i need a radial tire as this vehical will see the pavement.

i have had great success with interco's super swampers all my wheeling career, my one downside to the brand is the overall weight of there tires. they are crazy heavy! so far i cannot find a tire website that actually says the indevidual tire weight to compare the too, so right now i can only assume they are beastly.

now onto the bfg's. again, love this brand of tire. they last forever it seems compared to most other radial mud terrains, and they have a decent enough grip off road. they are light, which i like, but do not have the side lugs that i prefer on the tsl...

so really i am in a toss up. on ntwonline the tires are only about 5 dollars apart in price. i am going to search for something used before i commit to buying new rubber seeing as i am on a budget, and this vehical will be getting lifted and hopefully running on some 33's here by spring. i just need some good cleat on the badboy for some fall and winter fun :D

anywho, if anyone cares to voice an opinion, i am all ears. and if you happen to have had good luck with a similar tire series from a different brand, i am more then interested to here some reviews!:icon_thumby:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
BFG all the way!

TSL radials are horrible to balance, the ride sucks, they wear fast, they chip, etc.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
BFG all the way!

TSL radials are horrible to balance, the ride sucks, they wear fast, they chip, etc.
I agree on the balancing part of it. However you can't beat a good TSL in the mud and/or rocks. The BFG is also a good tire with excellent road manners. I vote for the BFG if you plan on driving it on the road.

*EDIT*
Slinky...Go to Tire Rack. Find the tire you want. Click on it. Then find the specs...click on that. It then gives you all the specifics of that tire including the weight of it minus the rim.

Last edited:

maclgallant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
i vote Interco Trxus MT since you see winter, you can't get a better MT for snow and rain :p ..... but interco seems hit or miss, i know they had quality controle issues a few years back... i can't really comment on BFG, everyone aroud here hated them for winter ... only people who seem to run them are mall crawlers... interco SSR are also a wicked tire! and run true to there size

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Swampers are the sh*t... Off-road.
I hate my KM2 BFGs! Wish I never bought them, waste of money. They are an OK street tire though.

As far as a 31x10.50, or any side really, Cooper Discoverer STT. That tire is amazing on any type of terrain. And my set wore out after 60,000. If I could find a set of 17" wheels cheap, there is no doubt I would invest in a set of 37" STTs.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
The BFG KM2's have sidewall tread. They are also a better "street" tire and will last much longer.

maclgallant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
i would sell you (but i;'m in canada) my 31's khumo road venture kl71 mt's perfect tire if you never see snow, AMAZING road maners.. the tire never hydroplaned once!!!! but i see to much snow here so i went with the snow rated federal couragia mt's

johndill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i work in a tire shop for a living and can professionally vouch that bfg's are garbage, mine separated and i see them blow up every other day... never seem it on a swamper, but with lightening a tire you lose integrity

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thousands of radial swampers have been recalled throughout the last 10 years. Tread separates from the sidewalls in a very devastating manner.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As far as a 31x10.50, or any side really, Cooper Discoverer STT. That tire is amazing on any type of terrain. And my set wore out after 60,000. If I could find a set of 17" wheels cheap, there is no doubt I would invest in a set of 37" STTs.
They are a very neat tire, I was bummed when I found out that gravel chews them up like crazy.

I have BFG MT's in the Rubicon tread pattern on dd, they ride nice, fairly quiet for an MT and wear very well. They are not perfect on hard packed snow or ice but I haven't met a tire that I would say is without being wrapped in chains. They are 255/75-17 tires, roughly a 31-32" tire.

They do great in mud or looser snow though. I can't speak for the regular KM1 or KM2 but these (could be called a KM1.5 maybe) are a pretty nice tire IMO. I got them on an impulse buy for $125 a tire from an overstock place so I couldn't really say now...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T/A+KM&partnum=575QR7MTAKM&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

slinky

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the responces so far guys. i had completely over looked the cooper disco's. my friend had them on his jeep back in the day and loved them.

i really couldn't ever see myself running those interco m/t's. if i go interco, i go tsl...there just a more aggressive tire in every aspect.

has anyone ever used the swamper ltb's? i have been told they are a very soft bias ply compound, but have never really confirmed how long they last.

i probobly should note that the vehical is primarily used for trailriding and general 4x4 discovery. it will go on the occasional road trip for camping and wheeling events and what not, and will be my general daily driver for work (a 12 mile road trip per day lol). longetivity of the tire really isnt my main concern, but i would like to stick with a radial compound just so my tires dont flake apart going down the road! i'm looking for light and aggressive :D

maclgallant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
so far i love my federal couragia MT , quite the aggressive tire, digs really well, how about the maxxis buckshot?, maxxis makes a quality tire

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
No siping for on road wet driving or snow. They suck.

Best MT for the buck by any means is still going to be the Interco Txxus MT for mileage and durability. Or, like mentioned above, STTs.

MT/R with Kevlar have amazing reviews as well.

maclgallant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
yes i agree 100% nothing even comes close to winter performance to a Interco trxus MT, it's basically a TSL with sipings and closer center thead... i coudn't afford them ... so i got the federal's which are the only other tire that is actualy "snow" rated... obviously not as good as the trxus in the snow, but defenetly better than anything else out there for winter and snow, but it's too early to tell how good they will do... so far everything i used to do 4wd i can do in 2H with these tires :D so far so good

slinky

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i should probably note that i do NOT drive in the snow...like ever. i hate the snow with a passion. if i need to go somewhere and its snowing, i will take my fiances awd or drive my pickup...both of which get the job done effortlessly in those conditions. i live in the pnw, it doesn't snow here too often than god.

the b2 stay's indoors when it's white out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals