• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best years for the older ranges?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
im just looking for a light offroader, something I can take camping etc. Not planning on doing any crazy offroading. I really like the body style of this ranger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twU0kJznqM8, what other years had that front end style?

edit: also, is there anything wrong with the 2.9L's?
2.9's are either absolute junk or the best motor ford made depending on who you talk to.... and WHEN you talk to them.

The problem is that they are one of the best ford engines until they break, then you are basically screwed.

As I've said before and been quoted by people using my quote as a sig
"a 4.0 IS the performance modification to improve a 2.9"

Anything the 2.9 does (except get good highway mileage) the 4.0 does better.

The 4.0 makes more torque at 1200rpm than a 2.9 can make at it's torque peak.

The rub is if you like the 1983-88 body style they didn't come with the 4.0 engine (introduced in 1990) and swapping one in is essentially a "wiring nightmare", I've done it (on my 1987), so have several others, but it's not within everyone's capability to do so.

The 1989-90 body style is similar and swapping a 4.0 into one of those is FAR easier, but easier yet is getting a 1991-92 that already HAS a 4.0

why not a 1990? because ford made exactly eleven 1990 4.0 Rangers
with 5sp manual transmission and those were never "Emissions certified"
and frankly you don't want an automatic.

Why is the A4LD suck a total POS? it's simple, when you take a GERMAN engine and bolt a FRANCH transmission to it and the FRENCH transmission
will either surrender or get the crap knocked out of it.

On later rangers I'm not a particular fan of the 1995-97's because of the switch to EEC5/OBD2 and the complete mess they made of the wiring.
even the god-damned dome light is controlled by a computer module.

but I DO like the two piston brakes they used those years.

So what I'd specifically recommend you look for is either a 1993 4.0 5sp Ranger OR a Non-EGR(Most Non-California) 1994s, then swap the 1995-97 beams and front brakes onto it.

AD

kawana

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok thanks, and how big of a job are we talking, on swapping an auto for a manual? If I find an auto 4L that is a good deal, would it be worth it to swap over to a manual?

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Ok thanks, and how big of a job are we talking, on swapping an auto for a manual? If I find an auto 4L that is a good deal, would it be worth it to swap over to a manual?
HELL YES!!!!! The M5OD is the most bulletproof transmission installed in the Ranger!

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I was refering to swap a 4.0 in where a 2.9 has been in an earlier ranger.

AD

kawana

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I was refering to swap a 4.0 in where a 2.9 has been in an earlier ranger.

AD

Ya I know, im asking what it takes to swap an manual trans onto a 4.0 with an automatic trans.

kawana

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So what I'd specifically recommend you look for is either a 1993 4.0 5sp Ranger OR a Non-EGR(Most Non-California) 1994s, then swap the 1995-97 beams and front brakes onto it.

AD
Just wondering, is there anything wrong with a 91-92 4.0 5spd? Just wondering why you skipped those years, and recommended the 93-94 4.0 5spd. Thanks

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I don't think the 2.9L is the best motor Ford ever made, nor do I think it's junk.
It's a good reliable motor, but there is only so much power you can make with 2900cc of displacement (normally-aspirated). The 4.0L is simply a larger displacement engine, that's all (which happens to be based off the 2.9L as well).

If you can get a 4.0L, definitely do so, but if your dream truck only has a 2.9L in it, no need to sweat over it... Stick some decent gears in your axles for whatever size tire you want to run, and the 2.9L should be plenty capable of moving the truck up to speed no problem (I run 5.13 gears with 35" tires on my BII. Never have had an issue maintaining speed on grades, though a downshift to 4th is sometimes needed).

Nothing wrong with '91-'92 trucks. They are the previous body style to the '93-'97s though, so you won't be able to fit quite as large of tires with a set lift height unless you don't mind a little fender trimming.

kawana

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, thanks for the helpful responses guys. Ill let you know what I find.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Alright, thanks for the helpful responses guys. Ill let you know what I find.
We'll be glad to see what you find! I hope your search is fruitful.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals