• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best wiring schematics: service manual or body/electrical troubleshooting guide?

smoker_xr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Would you please give me a comparison of the difference between the factory service manual, and the factory body/electrical troubleshooting guide?

I already have the Haynes manual for my '91 Ranger XLT, and it does not have complete schematics, to the details that I am looking for.

Thanks,
Ken

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Here's the deal on the factory manuals, as I can best explain it.

There are two Ford resources for "wiring diagrams": the Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual, or "EVTM"; and the Wiring Diagram publication. The EVTM presents wiring schematics grouped by electrical subsystem, connector pinouts and location info. The Wiring Diagram, is the complete electrical system schematic in one (multipage) view.

The Service Manuals don't really have much in the way of wiring schematics; but they do have certain electrical subsystems' detailed descriptions, schematic and troubleshooting procedures. But, the engine management stuff is not in the Shop Manual.

Then you have the Engine Emissions-Diagnosis Manual, which has the detailed descriptions and troubleshooting procedures for anything electrical that's related to engine management.

So basically, you need the four items as a set to have the whole banana. But for just wiring information, in my opinion the EVTM is the most valuable to have.

As far as aftermarket, I like Mitchell Manuals wiring diagrams. In fact, the diagrams in the Haynes manual looks to be sourced from Mitchell.

Hope that helps.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
See if someone at your local dealer can print you stuff from FMCDealer.com. I have access to that for work and it is as complete as you will ever find.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The Ford EVTM books are better

Chiltons are alot better than Haynes as an aftermarket manual.

Now, what I'd do is see if your local liabrary has access to alldata.com. It has all the same diagrams as the Ford EVTM manuals, etc....

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The Ford EVTM books are better

Chiltons are alot better than Haynes as an aftermarket manual.

Now, what I'd do is see if your local liabrary has access to alldata.com. It has all the same diagrams as the Ford EVTM manuals, etc....
Also true. FMCDealer has the complete Ford books in an online format.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The EVTMs are great for tracing wires through the vehicle, through connectors, locating ALL your grounds etc. The PCED manuals are invaluable when it comes to electrical diagnosis of any kind involving the powertrain. They tell you sensor pinouts, PCM connector pinouts, which wires to probe, what your sensor specs should be and give you a easy way to track down a fault through specific logical steps. They are five inches thick for a reason. For every vehicle I own, I make it a point to track down the service manual, engine manual if seperate, EVTM, and Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis manual. The PCEDs cover a specific year, not just one vehicle with some smaller manuals for some specific items (Some Diesels, Ford Branded vehicles, etc). Over time, you'll collect a lot of manuals. If I sell a vehicle and probably won't get another of that year/era, I'll include the manuals with it to sweeten the deal.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can get complete service literature from e-bay on CD for 20 bucks or less.:)shady

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I seriously question the legality of those CDs on eBay. Seems to me you'd be supporting copyright infringement, hurting the companies that actually take the time to produce those manuals, and getting the data in a format that makes it harder to use unless you have a laptop that you're willing to take out to the shop or a printer to print off the pages ahead of time.

How's that any different than buying an actual manual, photocopying the pages, binding them, and selling them on eBay for $20.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
They have been sold for years. I would think if they are illegal, someone would have stopped them by now. E-bay would be putting themselves at risk to allow this to happen. They are not hard to use. If you need something, print it. I also have a laptop in the garage, so no problem.:)shady

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The CD,s are legit from ebay,they say on them reproduced with permission.Great thing,covers everything.My books are all put away and just use the putor now.Was a great excuse to get a laptop

reimic39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Still the stuff you get off of FMCDealer.com is going to be the best thing and if you go into some ford dealers they will print off what you need Back when I was with ford we would have to do it all the time.

BRS Restorations

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351 m400
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
True Ford Lover
Newbe here, Just learning and filling out the site this morning. Getting a copy or CD of the Ford EVTM will be on my to do list ASAP. Been stumbling along with old '80 Bronco bad wiring for couple wks, an throwing good $$ in new parts. After visiting "Bullnose Enthusiasts" site and getting copies of the Numbering & Color codes, a friend suggested to check out TRS,,,Sure glad he sent me to the site. Great forum with tons of member info,,, Hope we too can share some of our projects and knowledge along with members.

Happy and Safe Holidays to all members, from a Newbe!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals