• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best mpg

08RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hey everybody, Im trying to get the best fuel milage possible with my 2008 2.3 2wd, I have a rediculous commute to work and every +mpg counts. my best mpg was 28.5 or so at 65 mph freeway travel with just over 2000 miles on the truck. I am planning on using amsoil synthetic in the engine when I get to 7500 miles. I am not sure if I will put an aftermarket air filter in it or not. I would like to get a green filter but cant find one for my application on the there website. I dont want a K&N even though a lot of people swear by them. anyways what are you guys getting for mpg? any ideas?

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
why wait for synthetic. Your engine has that from the factory. You can run the synthetic now if thats what you wanna do. I have a K+N in my truck no probs. Just don't over oil it. Best mpg tip, drive like there is an egg under the pedal and don't waste money on mpg enhancing 'mods', they aren't worth it.

08RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
it came frome the factory with motorcraft synthetic blend. Im gonna switch to full synthetic.

Engine7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
mpg

The best I have gotten so far is 30.2 mpg. I drive like "a old man", but I'm passing them at the pump. I looked into the green filter also, I thought about modifing a different air box and putting a round filter and smooth metal tube to the intake. Still looking for the right air box to modifiy, let us know if you fond a filter to fit.

08RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The part# for the Green filter is 2014, although green didnt have it in stock so they gave me the number for a distributer that has one. Talking with the parts guy at the ford dealership, he put a green and a K&N in his WRX and didnt notice a difference between the two, he did say the service interval for the green was only 6000 miles! by the way Engine7 are you running full synthetic oil?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
If you want more air flow, all you have to do is step on the gas pedal some more. The throttle plate on the throttle body will open up, allowing more air into the engine. No aftermarket filters/intakes required. Save your money.

Engine7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Oil choice

Yeah, I have full synthetic in it now, I don't think it changes to much. I do like the idea of a reusable filter with out the oil. I know I can give the gas a little more and open the throttle plate which in turn changes the voltage of the throttle position sensor and causes the computer to adjust the mapping of the fuel curve to change the dwell of the fuel injectors. Which causes the fuel injectors to stay open a little bit longer thus giving the engine more fuel and using that additional air to create more power. The resulting increase in fuel is further adjusted by the oxygen sensors as it reads the exhaust to see how much oxygen was not burn in the combustion process. Further adjusting the fuel curve to compensate for load, how high you are abouve the sea level using the map sensor and things like carbon and partial blocked fuel injectors. So yeah I know I can just hit the pedal some more, I use to teach the powertrain and driveability class, but thanks for the suggestion.

08RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I suppose I could step on the loud pedal and change the resistance of the potentiometer to increase the amount of fuel delivered to the combustion chamber, but I want good fuel economy. Im going to start using Amsoil 5w20 and a Wix oil filter and see if that changes my mpg numbers. Double checked the Green filter website and found out you DO have to oil the filter after cleaning with special green filter oil.

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hey everybody, Im trying to get the best fuel milage possible with my 2008 2.3 2wd, I have a rediculous commute to work and every +mpg counts. my best mpg was 28.5 or so at 65 mph freeway travel with just over 2000 miles on the truck. I am planning on using amsoil synthetic in the engine when I get to 7500 miles. I am not sure if I will put an aftermarket air filter in it or not. I would like to get a green filter but cant find one for my application on the there website. I dont want a K&N even though a lot of people swear by them. anyways what are you guys getting for mpg? any ideas?
Avoid E10 if possible. I have the 2007 version of your truck and I get 31mpg highway with unblended regular gas. With E10 I get the same as you.

For everybody else, don't let your state mandate E10 - you gain nothing and it cost you more in fuel, repairs, and pollution.

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Avoid E10 if possible. I have the 2007 version of your truck and I get 31mpg highway with unblended regular gas. With E10 I get the same as you.

For everybody else, don't let your state mandate E10 - you gain nothing and it cost you more in fuel, repairs, and pollution.

I need a new truck. My 92 2.3 gets 21-24 in town depending on a/c use and the absolute best on the highway with a/c running was 28.

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
ever thought about a tonneau cover? they are suppose to help against unwanted drag...i have a Lund Trifold cover and it works great. I can take it off and put it back on in less than 3 mins and i can fold it up when i wanna carry toys or anything else bigger that doesn't fit underneath

CrimsonEclipse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I have a tonneau cover. I can't say it helps the mileage more than 2-3 mpg but it does help cut down on wind noise at higher speeds.

CE

Dar70

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Im getting about 27-28. I have an 2008 automatic, 4x2 extended cab. I have a bed mat which is quite heavy and a tonneau cover.

08RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yea the E10 is a mandate her in Oregon I think its BS personally. IM gonna service my truck and switch to Amsoil syth this weekend and see if it changes anything. I will keep you guys posted

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
you know ..... I just drove Satan's motorhome to AZ and the best mileage I got was 9mpg as apposed to 6.5 being the worst. I got the 9 mpg running 86 octane e-10 in New Mexico....... did it for 2 tanks. the worst mileage came from 89 octane no blend i got in Oklahoma. Dropped back to a solid 8 mpg the rest of the trip after I bought 87octane in Holbrook AZ all the way to quartzsite also on e-10. I think octane is more important than blend. low compression engines (8.5:1 in a 1995 460) do better with low octane gas. I know the reason for the low octane was the high altitude but even running 80 mph up and down some hefty grades it was getting 9....... I bet it would have got 10 or 11 on flat ground. getting back to the question at hand.

save your money on the mods and get a vacuum gauge, keep your gauge in the green.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals