• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best heads by year or motor

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
I know there is a cooling port difference between the ranger head and the Taurus head requiring the use of a Taurus head gasket on the ranger block when using Taurus heads. Many manufactures use a different cam in a truck engine than a car engine so I would look there also in your searches to see if there is a difference along with combustion chamber differences.

I'm pretty sure ford made a dual cam head that gave it a big boost in HP and torque but this requires a matching block to accommodate the feature, seen one in a ford probe so I know they exist but not sure they were an option in the ranger.

It was @ericbphoto that was building a 3.0L for his overlander. There hasn't been an update on that in a while.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
truck and car cams are different per specs on replacement heads. trucks are ground for low end torque. ( whatever you can get from a 3.0 )
I know there is a cooling port difference between the ranger head and the Taurus head requiring the use of a Taurus head gasket on the ranger block when using Taurus heads. Many manufactures use a different cam in a truck engine than a car engine so I would look there also in your searches to see if there is a difference along with combustion chamber differences.

I'm pretty sure ford made a dual cam head that gave it a big boost in HP and torque but this requires a matching block to accommodate the feature, seen one in a ford probe so I know they exist but not sure they were an option in the ranger.

It was @ericbphoto that was building a 3.0L for his overlander. There hasn't been an update on that in a while.

Duratec dohc 3.0 used in several cars.
Yamaha dohc 3.0 & 3.2 used only in earlier Taurus SHO

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
where did you find the 205 hp figure?
the spec sheet lists a max hp of 154 for the 2003/4

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As far as I know, no Vulcan was ever anywhere near 200hp from the factory. That was likely a mistake, where somebody used the 3.0 Duratec numbers for the 3.0 Vulcan by mistake. For the Vulcan specifically, there's no difference between Taurus head castings and Ranger head castings.

There are a couple of basic differences in Vulcan head castings over the years:
1) Combustion chamber shape- Flex fuel heads had kidney shaped combustion chambers that were slightly smaller than regular fuel chambers. But at some point (around 02-ish?) Ford quit using different chambers for the flex fuel engines, and just used the same shape for all of the Vulcans
2) Valve stem size- I don't recall the specific year, but Ford switched the size of the valve stem (from 7mm to 8mm if I recall).

Later heads also came with conical valve springs too which theoretically should reduce valve float. Ideally, the smaller combustion chambers in the early Flex heads could lead to slightly higher compression if the target is an all-out, balls to the wall performance build. But I wouldn't expect much, and the shape can make valve shrouding an issue. If you're porting them anyway, it might not matter. You could have the heads decked and get the same or better results.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Yes. That's been backburnered for a while. But, dang it. I feel like my current engine is probably getting tired.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
where did you find the 205 hp figure?
the spec sheet lists a max hp of 154 for the 2003/4
I don't really remember. Wikipedia maybe?. Could be like @stmitch said and be a misquote. But ot did say for the 07-08 models, the last year for the Vulcan in the Ranger. I'll try to retrace my steps and link the info.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I've retraced all of my steps. I guess It was ME who got the #'s wrong. Max output for the Vulcan in 2007 was 155 bhp.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals