• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best Dash to use?

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Hello,

I am considering using a 1st a 91-94 Ranger, Explorer, B4,000 or 91-96 Aerostar dash/column in the 87 BroncoII automatic with the 94 4.0L swap:

It never occurred to me but some of these use column shifting. Which of these have shifting on the column?

If I have to use column shifting (do to parts availability) what else will I need to make it work in the BII?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Any of those will be column shift. Floor shifted automatic RBVs went away after 88.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
^^^ Agree. I all Ranger / Bronco II / Explorer automatics 1989 to 1994 will have the column shifter. The automatic column has a shifter arm on the lower column which uses a cable to the transmission's shift lever.

You have an interesting option- you can use a 89-94 manual trans column, and keep the original '87 floor shifter, or use the newer automatic dash column shifter. I've never seen this swap done, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done.

The instrument cluster on these dashes already has the opening for PRND21 indicator, it's just blocked off for manual trans applications.

shift arm.jpgcable.jpgindicator.jpg

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Rusty ol, RobbieD:

Thank you for the feedback, it just never occurred to me until a week ago as I had only ever driven manual Explorers, then my buddy's son had me look at his 95 Ex sport with a column shifting auto.

I really like the "using a 1st Gen manual column" idea. That is now my hope as I am not a fan of column shifting.

Since I am now planning on the 94 computer/wire non-EGR (Federal) harness for an auto transmission but with a 89-94 gen. manual column, does this open up any options regarding column source years; are the 95-97 manual columns any different?

Regarding Cruise Control issues, will 1st or 2nd Gen columns make a stock Cruise Control challenging?

Will I need the ductwork from the doner vehicle or can I use the 87's with the replacement dash.

I read something about needing to enlarge the firewall hole for the newer columns, is this a fact?

Does this mean that I can broaden my column/dash search to;

89-94 Ranger
90-94 Navejo
91-94 Explorer
89-96 Aerotsar

Or will i be better off using the dash from the doner of the PCM and harnesses?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
@gaz

I really like the "using a 1st Gen manual column" idea. That is now my hope as I am not a fan of column shifting.

Since I am now planning on the 94 computer/wire non-EGR (Federal) harness for an auto transmission but with a 89-94 gen. manual column, does this open up any options regarding column source years; are the 95-97 manual columns any different?
A "2nd Gen" column will be needed with the '89-94 dash. This gets confusing; the "2nd Gen" interior was used with the 2nd generation body style ('89-'92) and it also carried over into the 3rd generation body in '93 and '94. 1995 got a new dash, the gauge pod being more rounded.

I think that there may be a difference in the number of computer-controlled solenoids between the '87 and '94 A4LDs. Using the '94 host harness would be best, but there may be an extra plug for the trans. You can probably check this in the EVTMs or by comparing the computer pinouts.

While I can't state it as a fact, I would think that the '95 columns are different, as the 1995 model year introduced air bags to the Ranger. That and OBD2 are the main reasons I've never owned one newer than 1994 (please; to each his own).

Regarding Cruise Control issues, will 1st or 2nd Gen columns make a stock Cruise Control challenging?
Cruise would be about the same install-wise, first or second gen column. The ideal would be the '94 donor having the cruise already, and just swap it over with everything else.

Will I need the ductwork from the doner vehicle or can I use the 87's with the replacement dash.

I read something about needing to enlarge the firewall hole for the newer columns, is this a fact?
Sorry, I don't know about these two.

Does this mean that I can broaden my column/dash search to;

89-94 Ranger
90-94 Navejo
91-94 Explorer
89-96 Aerotsar

Or will i be better off using the dash from the doner of the PCM and harnesses?
Add the 1989-90 Bronco II to the list; I'm not sure myself on the Aerostar dash being the same as the Ranger / Bronco II / Explorer / Navajo / Mazda B truck.

In my opinion, using the dash from same donor as the PCM and harness would DEFINITELY be best. You'll know that all of the stuff has already worked together.

Good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals