• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best brand and style for 2003 Ranger 4X4?

acleme1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hoping to get some opinions on what brand and style of tire I should buy for my 2003 Ford Ranger Edge 4X4? I don't really do any off-roading. Mostly drive the truck back and forth to work, and put my fishing boat in and out of the water. I live in Missouri, so I do have to drive around in the snow on and off through the winter.

I am looking at 265/75/16's. I am not wanting to spend a fortune. Would like to stay in the $600 - $800 range...mounted and balanced.

Let me know what you guys think? Thanks for the input. Aaron.

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
BFG A/Ts ALL THE WAY!

They even got me through all of this:

I have about 13k on mine right now and they are barely even showing signs of wear! They are great tires. Especially for you uses, because it looks like we have the same uses---mostly on road, pulling boat, and the occasional off-road.

Get the BFGs and you wont be dissapointed

acleme1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
that's an awesome looking truck! did you have to do anything to make the 31" tires fit? do they rub at all?

also, that's nice looking grill. that's not factory, is it? if not, where'd you get that?

thanks for the post!

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
BFG's would be my #1 choice, but also Bridgestone Dueler REVO's and General Grabber AP2's are very good and if you want to save a few bucks and go generic the Wild Country XTX is very good.
I've had both the Bridgestone and Wild Country and can say that they are great in snow.
BFG's cost more but they also last a long time.

acleme1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well, i went to sears and had new tires put on. i chose the 265/70/16's in a Bridgestone Dueler APT IV. i was leaning toward the BFG Rugged Trail T/A, but the salesman told me the Bridgestone's were a lot better tire. Now, I'm a little worried. After reading some reviews online, I think I probably made the wrong choice.

I considered the BFG A/T's, but the tread looks like it is too aggressive for my needs. I just don't do any off-roading, and the A/T's look like that is what they are made for.

The Bridgestone's are running a special where you can try them for 30 days, and return them if you don't like them. I need some advice here...should I keep them or not. They look nice, and the 265/70/16 is a perfect size. Just don't know if it's worth the hassle of returning them.

Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks, Aaron.

acleme1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
One last piece of info: The Bridgestone's were $780 out the door.

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that's an awesome looking truck! did you have to do anything to make the 31" tires fit? do they rub at all?

also, that's nice looking grill. that's not factory, is it? if not, where'd you get that?

thanks for the post!
nope 31s fit just fine, heck 32s would fit just fine with a small t-bar crank. even Level IIs come with 31s.

lol, that is a factory Ranger grille! I have an 06' model, its the XLT grille

yeah the bridgestones are nice, i had a set before these. But i still think you should have went this route. your bridgestones were $147 more than my BFGs!! (633 out the dorr for me) Plus the BFGs last ALOT longer, i have experience with both.

Last edited:

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
nope 31s fit just fine, heck 32s would fit just fine with a small t-bar crank. even Level IIs come with 31s.

lol, that is a factory Ranger grille! I have an 06' model, its the XLT grille

yeah the bridgestones are nice, i had a set before these. But i still think you should have went this route. your bridgestones were $147 more than my BFGs!! (633 out the dorr for me) Plus the BFGs last ALOT longer, i have experience with both.
dixie_boysles-
where the heck did you get the bfgs for $633?!?! What size are you running?

acleme-
sounds like you want just a plain old all season, no need for an all terrain. Try out the Bridgestones for the 30 days. If you like them, keep them. If not, get something else.

my dad has wild country sport H/Ts on his Yukon. They're good for about 50,000mi and we've had no problems in snow. We use it to pull our snowmobile trailer in the winter(3000+lbs) without trouble.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals