• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best Backspace on 15x8 wheel?

subterranean

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
If I'm putting 30x9.5r15's on a 15x8 wheel....what would give me the best clearance from rubbing on anything and have the tire stick out a little on a 1997 Ranger 2WD? I'm coming up with a 3.75 backspace from my research but should I be going with something different than that? I'll be going with a semi aggressive tire, most likely the Cooper STT or BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
3.75 is the norm

subterranean

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
The reason I'm wondering is I know stock is 15x7, and I'll be going with the 15x8 with 30x9.5 r15..which is about max that I can fit in my well without a lift. So in knowing that it will be a tight fit already, is the 3.75 backspace giving me the most room back there, or should I be going with a different offset...I'll have the choice since I'll be ordering these rims...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The stock 15x7" wheels are 4.5" BS. 3.75" is very common with aftermarket wheels, but since you're trying to cram the biggest tire you can under your stock 2WD, you might be better off trying to find 4.5" BS wheels to keep the tires from hitting the back of your fenders when you turn.

subterranean

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
The stock 15x7" wheels are 4.5" BS. 3.75" is very common with aftermarket wheels, but since you're trying to cram the biggest tire you can under your stock 2WD, you might be better off trying to find 4.5" BS wheels to keep the tires from hitting the back of your fenders when you turn.
So that 4.5 backspace on the 15x8 wheel would basically bring the wheel out further or sink it into the vehicle more? And thanks for the info, it's appreciated!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The more backspace, the further inward your tire will be.

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
The 4.5 will bring it into the well more the problem with that is it might then hit the frame and if you plan to get a lift and get a bigger tire it will deff hit the frame. the best would be to get 3.75 and get a smal coill spacer for the front to even it out and a set of shackles for the back if you still haul stuff to just keep it from squatting too bad. and cramming the max tire in the wheel well rele wont look that good and will limit you suspension movement toalmost nothing

02ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i have 4.5 on my 02 ranger and it will run if you go over a speedbump full lock other than that they are great. it put the tires sticking out about 1/2 inch. looks bitchen!

danger_ranger05

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
id get the 3.75 back space then if ya want em further out buy some wheel spacers.

subterranean

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
id get the 3.75 back space then if ya want em further out buy some wheel spacers.
Yeah, I ended up ordering them with the 3.75 backspace, I'll see how it all comes together....cannot wait to see the Pro Comp's in person when they come in...should be here on Wed!! :icon_bounceblue:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals