• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Belt whine. Power steering pulley seems hard to turn

Bartmuley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1994 2.3 Ranger, I’m having bad almost constant serpentine belt squeal. The amps go down on my gauge when the belt squeals. I took off the belt And tested the pulleys and they seem OK except for the power steering pump but I’ve read it doesn’t spin freely like the other pulleys? How hard should it be to spin?

And could a bad power steering pulley set off the “check engine” light?

Any help is appreciated.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
If it slows down the belt, then the alternator might not be able to produce enough power. Does the squeal get worse when you turn the steering wheel? I would recheck the alternator pulley. Does it have any side-to-side play? Do you feel any roughness when turning it?

Bartmuley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
If it slows down the belt, then the alternator might not be able to produce enough power. Does the squeal get worse when you turn the steering wheel? I would recheck the alternator pulley. Does it have any side-to-side play? Do you feel any roughness when turning it?
After further investigation i think the squealing noise is coming from the AC pulley. When I spun it it spun but made a kind of grinding noise. When I put the belt back on it sounded like the noise was coming from the AC pulley.

The PS pump needed replaced anyway so I ordered a new one and I also ordered a new AC Clutch bearing.

I just put a new exhaust on it and it seems like every time I fix one thing on the Ranger 2 more break.

hopefully changing out the bearing won’t be too hard and it will fix the problem.

Bartmuley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the response. The alternator is new, I put it on a couple of years ago but the truck doesn’t get driven much. I checked it anyway while I had the belt off and as far as I could tell was fine.
Like I said the AC pulley seems to be the problem.

the PS is getting replaced too.

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
The idler / tension pulleys go bad and create drag on the belt, along with a grinding sound.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Belts is goes squerk!

Make sure you replace the belt too, after slipping the belt gets too hot and glazes over so even if it's a relatively new belt it may very well slip even on brand new pulleys.

Bartmuley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Belts is goes squerk!

Make sure you replace the belt too, after slipping the belt gets too hot and glazes over so even if it's a relatively new belt it may very well slip even on brand new pulleys.
thanks I ordered a new belt too.

Bartmuley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know what the cover to the AC pulley is called? I’ve seen it called the “pressure plate” but I haven’t found that when I search.

I’m talking about the triangle outer cover that you take off to get to the bearing.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
that's the AC clutch hub, per Rock Auto.
some brands sell the clutch as an assembly, hub plus pulley. pulley contains the bearing.

Last edited:

Bartmuley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
that's the AC clutch hub, per Rock Auto.
some brands sell the clutch as an assembly, hub plus pulley. pulley contains the bearing.
thanks!

Bartmuley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
The idler / tension pulleys go bad and create drag on the belt, along with a grinding sound.
thanks, they both seem fine. My brother borrowed the truck for a while and he put a new tensioner on it last year.

mlkary

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Spo
Transmission
Automatic
Be sure the power steering pulley is absolutely flush with pump shaft. If the pump has been changed and the pulley is not pressed all the way on it will misalign the belt and cause the squeak. If a bolt and washer was used to press the pulley on, it is very possible the washer bent in the center and kept the pulley from going on flush. Less than .015 flush will cause a belt squeak.

Bartmuley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Be sure the power steering pulley is absolutely flush with pump shaft. If the pump has been changed and the pulley is not pressed all the way on it will misalign the belt and cause the squeak. If a bolt and washer was used to press the pulley on, it is very possible the washer bent in the center and kept the pulley from going on flush. Less than .015 flush will cause a belt squeak.
thanks, I fixed it. it was the serpentine belt
Itself. My brother had borrowed the truck and he put a really cheap belt on, I guess it had “glazed” or gotten to the point where it was constantly slipping. I’ve had squeaky belts before but nothing to this level.

when I put the new belt on it was way tighter, I actually had a little difficulty getting it on because I didn’t have a long enough ratchet to use on the tensioner. The old belt had some slack in it and was easy to take off.

The AC pulley was making a slight grinding noise too though so if it want “bad” yet it was getting there so I’m glad I got that fixed.

it’s actually running great right now, CEL is on but I’m hoping that’s just an O2 sensor that needs replaced.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals