• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Belltech 2"/4" Drop Kit Questions

waynecarpenter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello. My name is Wayne and I have a 1996 Ford Ranger 2.3l EXT extended cab 2wd manual trans. I am interested in lowering it. Iv lowered many cars and motorcycles in the past but this will be my first truck and it seems to just a little different haha. Iv decided on the Belltech 904SP 2/4 drop kit with street performance shocks. Based on all the pics in the ads iv seen i was assuming i was getting springs, shocks, and blocks with all hardware. When i got the kit to my surprise it was something else. I received shocks, springs, hangers, and some other parts and hardware. Turns out its because of how my rear axle is positioned with the leaf springs. I say ok no problem. A little something i over looked. Now I have a few questions. I called Belltech to try and get some answers but the guy couldn't seem to answer anything. He kept putting me on hold and ultimately got my email address and is supposed to email me the answers when he finds out. Im not to thrilled about that. They should know their product and i feel like I'm not the only one to be asking these questions.

Question 1: On the instructions it says look at all your parts you received and compare them to the parts list we provided.

I have all the parts listed but i also have these parts as well and it doesn't say what these are. What are these parts for?

Question 2: In the pic on their website it shows the two extra longer bolts with washers in the top left. But i didn't get any washers for them. Guy said i didn't need them but why would they be in the pic then. Should i get some from the store?

Question 3; On the front hangers i had to use a Dremel tool and grind the coating out of the holes to fit the bolts in them. It was just a little grinding but it was necessary. Now for the rear ones i have to grind more than just the paint off. I need to grind a good amount of metal to make these bolts go through. Has anyone else had to do this? Why don't they just make a product with appropriate sized holes?

Question 4: I have two 2* pinion shims to correct the drive shaft angle if needed. He said i may or may not need these. Is there a clear answer if i need to do this based on the make, model, year etc of my truck. If i do need to do this does anyone have a link on how to install them?

Question 5: If i do have to shim then i need these two spring centering bolts with coupling nuts. Is that right or do i use them regardless? Can i have just a little more info on what they are and why its needed to use them.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There aren't many trucks that have the rear lowered using hangers like that. Most guys just get an axle flip kit because it's cheaper and typically easier to install. You're not in totally uncharted territory, but there probably aren't a lot of guys around that can answer your questions about that specific kit, or lowering the rear via that method.
Honestly, it doesn't sound like you're thrilled with the kit you have. I'd see about sending it back, and just getting a flip kit. They're $50, and you would have a lot more people to bounce questions off of. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Always seen this kit to buy online, but never seen anyone use it. Sucks that you went through 3-4x the work when djm's flipkit is 4" drop for the pre 98 trucks. Hope they at least sent you grade-8 bolts

Shims most likely wont be necessary, but your pinion angle will be off from factory(usually you measure your pinion angle before you drop and measure it after to order correct size shims) but most ranger owners dont even do that. Its usually one of those "nice to have" but not critical things unless youre really dropping or lifting a vehicle

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals