• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

been thinking about some sort or locker or l/s

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I've been thinking about putting some sort of locker in my rear end or making it a l/s. I dont really need one as it is a DD street rig, but Id still like my truck to be fully capable and have no problems if I ever need it.(Plus I cant just leave things alone:icon_hornsup:)

I did a little reading and would really like to swap in an explorer axle with disc brakes and a l/s, but I think thats above my ability level. Next best would be a rear end out of an FX4 level II, but im sure thats gonna be next to impossible to find.

Would something like this http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Racing-M4204F288-Traction-Differential/dp/B000CEM44Y work?

What do you guys think is my best bet? Or am I better of just leaving it be?

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you get snow and ice in the winter there (i used to live in Fitchburg/Leominster) so a l/s or locker wouldn't be a bad idea really. that is about the right price for that l/s. i had a new one i didn't use and sold it for $150 a few months ago. it should do the job for you and your dd.
actually, swapping axles for that 8.8 you want would be close to the same amount of skill level or maybe even easier.
good luck with your project!

t120r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Look up a detroit tru-trac. Great setup and no clutches to wear out.

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
you get snow and ice in the winter there (i used to live in Fitchburg/Leominster) so a l/s or locker wouldn't be a bad idea really. that is about the right price for that l/s. i had a new one i didn't use and sold it for $150 a few months ago. it should do the job for you and your dd.
actually, swapping axles for that 8.8 you want would be close to the same amount of skill level or maybe even easier.
good luck with your project!
In order to swap to an explorer axle i thought you had to relocate some of the mounting points. Maybe i need to look into this a bit more.

Look up a detroit tru-trac. Great setup and no clutches to wear out.
Way out of my budget at $470. I need to keep cost down in order to justify this. If i can do this for around or under $200 im good

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It doesn't look like something that ever leaves the road so it's best to leave it alone.

An Explorer axle gains you nothing.

If you need a locker, I recommend the Powertrax Lock Right. It's easy to install and easy to learn to deal with. It doesn't seem like you'll get any value for the money spent though. It doesn't do anything useful if you don't get stuck anywhere now. I'd spend the money to upgrade the sound system or install an aftermarket catback exhaust--something you will actually notice when you drive the truck.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
One of the cheapest ways to get a limited slip is to add an extra side gear shim/washer to a conventional diff. I've done that to a 9" and a d-28. I imagine that it would be similar for the 8.8". The cost is new diff fluid, gaskets and a new [or used] washer and your time. The 9" I've put ~ 20,000 miles on but the d-28 only 2000. No problems with either.

Richard

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i don't mind the manners of a lunchbox locker on road.. aussie or lockrite.. almost unnoticeable.. if you ever get used to it, it won't bother you at all.

idk, some people don't like auto lockers in snow/ice, here in Mississippi, i don't know what snow and ice is so.......... do some research. there is a thread on here called "aussie street manners" or something like that, i started it. and there are other threads about how people think about certain lockers on the road. but at your budget its gonna be either a l/s or a lunchbox locker. i prefer the later...

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
It doesn't look like something that ever leaves the road so it's best to leave it alone.

An Explorer axle gains you nothing.

If you need a locker, I recommend the Powertrax Lock Right. It's easy to install and easy to learn to deal with. It doesn't seem like you'll get any value for the money spent though. It doesn't do anything useful if you don't get stuck anywhere now. I'd spend the money to upgrade the sound system or install an aftermarket catback exhaust--something you will actually notice when you drive the truck.
If I did an explorer swap, i would find one with disc brakes and a l/s.
Headunit is in. speakers and amp are sitting in my room waiting to go in.

I cant just leave something alone and i figured i might as well do something to help my truck. i might not get stuck now but you never know what I might face in the future

i don't mind the manners of a lunchbox locker on road.. aussie or lockrite.. almost unnoticeable.. if you ever get used to it, it won't bother you at all.

idk, some people don't like auto lockers in snow/ice, here in Mississippi, i don't know what snow and ice is so.......... do some research. there is a thread on here called "aussie street manners" or something like that, i started it. and there are other threads about how people think about certain lockers on the road. but at your budget its gonna be either a l/s or a lunchbox locker. i prefer the later...
I'll do some more research and see what i can find.

I know with my old tires I was doing alot of spinning in snow. Unfortunately i havent gotten to try my new ones out in snow yet.

Anyway, this is just an option im exploring. If anything, at least it gives me something else to keep an eye out for on craigslist

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd go with the easy to install PowerTrax "No-Slip", cost the same as the Eaton but no gear set up required. Can be done in your dirveway with common tools, be done in less than two hours. Had mine in the Winter truck for 30K miles and not a problem. Got another set going in the 4x2.
Dave of the Nord

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One of the cheapest ways to get a limited slip is to add an extra side gear shim/washer to a conventional diff. I've done that to a 9" and a d-28. I imagine that it would be similar for the 8.8". The cost is new diff fluid, gaskets and a new [or used] washer and your time. The 9" I've put ~ 20,000 miles on but the d-28 only 2000. No problems with either.

Richard
That's rubbish.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's rubbish.
Is it? It's worked for me in my '68 Torino with a transplanted 429/c-6 and a 9" from a '58 Edsel [edit; the pumpkin came from an early '60's truck with 4.10 gears]. Also in the d-28 in the front of my '84 b-II. That knowledge was gleaned from a 'hot rod' magazine from the '80's, and it works.

Richard

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals