• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Becoming a better welder...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not sure what "little one" you are referring to but something like their 125 is only rated for 3/16"

They also have different brands.
Now that I think about it I think we started with this one:

but the feed wheel motor gave up pretty early on in the job, and we finished off with the Lincoln. I'm thinking the HF got through putting the patch in and the Lincoln was used to reinstall the engine cross member, which was actually the majority of the welding.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Now that I think about it I think we started with this one:

but the feed wheel motor gave up pretty early on in the job, and we finished off with the Lincoln. I'm thinking the HF got through putting the patch in and the Lincoln was used to reinstall the engine cross member, which was actually the majority of the welding.
I was looking at this one which is also what Scott has:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, Scott seems to like that one.

I'm going to look into a decent welder here in the next year or so. All our student loans should be done by next February, and I'll (hopefully) be back to work full time, and I'll have some money to throw at a really nice one.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
A lot of the HF welders share the exact same internal components, regardless of brand. They're all made by the same children in sweat shops. They probably also have anti-suicide nets just like the old Apple factory. :oops:

I promise you that regardless of brand, they over-inflate their duty cycle numbers as well as their amperage/capacity.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Myself and 3-4 of my friends all have Miller 211's (the older style.)

I have owned and welded with many different brands and for the home fabricator, you simply cannot beat it. I know they are expensive new but I got mine lightly used for $400.

And regarding HF welders: they can stick metal together. The old ones were fine for how much they cost, which was really not much. The new ones are approaching the cost of a Lincoln, Hobart or Miller and only have a 90 day warranty. 90 days!!!!! for a $500+ piece of equipment!!! No. fawking. way.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Myself and 3-4 of my friends all have Miller 211's (the older style.)

I have owned and welded with many different brands and for the home fabricator, you simply cannot beat it. I know they are expensive new but I got mine lightly used for $400.

And regarding HF welders: they can stick metal together. The old ones were fine for how much they cost, which was really not much. The new ones are approaching the cost of a Lincoln, Hobart or Miller and only have a 90 day warranty. 90 days!!!!! for a $500+ piece of equipment!!! No. fawking. way.
90 days longer than a $500 used one.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
90 days longer than a $500 used one.
Touche, but, I would counter with - where can you buy parts for a HF welder once the 90 day warranty runs out? Matheson and A&B in town here carry or can get anything for Miller/Hobart/Lincoln etc. HF changes their welder lineup more than I change my socks... I bet a year from now they will deny any of what they sell now ever existed.

If those HF welders were several hundred dollars less, it would be worth the risk. It's worth spending a couple hundred more on a good one that has somewhere between 3 and 7 years of warranty to back it up.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I have a 240v Chicago electric welder from HF that has worked really well for me for the past few years. The gun and feed wheel are garbage and I've had to tweak/replace them, but the machine itself can melt steel. This square tube is .250 wall

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Touche, but, I would counter with - where can you buy parts for a HF welder once the 90 day warranty runs out? Matheson and A&B in town here carry or can get anything for Miller/Hobart/Lincoln etc. HF changes their welder lineup more than I change my socks... I bet a year from now they will deny any of what they sell now ever existed.

If those HF welders were several hundred dollars less, it would be worth the risk. It's worth spending a couple hundred more on a good one that has somewhere between 3 and 7 years of warranty to back it up.
Really hard to say for anything. We had to junk a L-Tec plasma cutter at work because the circuit board had been obsoleted.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Grump, if you're interested I have my old books from welding school that I have no use for. They have lots of good info. PM me if you want them. I can send you some cheater lenses too, no one in my shop uses them but I have a box full of them.

Also if you have eye issues try to find a cheap non auto darkening helmet (I prefer jacksons) and use GOLD tinted glass. The gold lenses show better contrast between the material and puddle. Another thing is to not use an insanely dark lens. I see way to many people uses #12 or even #13 shades when you could safely use a #9 or #10.

I offer no opinion on brands or types of welders to get. I weld for a living so my opinion of a good welder has little bearing on what is best for hobbyists on a budget.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I had a 110v Craftsman MIG and a 220v Clarke 180EN before my current Miller. And a handful of 110v and 220v stick welders. I did a LOT of welding with them and they did OK. All I'm saying is that it's the little things that matter. The gun on my Clarke broke and it was very expensive to fix. It would lose some power after the arc was struck on higher settings. The Craftsman's duty cycle was designed so that you could do about 10 minutes of welding, then wait half an hour for it to cool off, otherwise it would stop in the middle of a bead. Both of them were incredibly finicky with wire speed adjustment. But, I did a lot of nice work with them.

A lot of the fabrication I do is at a higher level than a lot of home hobbyists will get into. I'm the ultimate cheap ass but buying certain good tools was well worth it. Now if you're just putting a muffler on once and maybe building a fence/railing/whatever every other year, that $100 HF welder would look pretty good to me too.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
My Century FC-90 welder from HD uses Lincoln parts.

buell-eyed-devil

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0-ZF in process
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"body on new poly body mounts
Tire Size
My credo
Hey ya'll, watch this
I had a little 110 flux core welder that was good for tacking for years. I just bought a H&S mig welder off a USA tool truck. Had a bottle given to me but havent got it filled yet. Everyone says they make good welders, Havent used it yet. It is 110v 140 amp so will do whatever I need. Will post after I try it out

buell-eyed-devil

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0-ZF in process
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"body on new poly body mounts
Tire Size
My credo
Hey ya'll, watch this
Before buying any machine, you might also look in to who owns the parent company that produces it. Lots of intermingling going on with various manufacturers..

very interesting video

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Oooo, I like that little Century. That would be super handy for small jobs outdoors. Now to find one in a pawn shop...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals