• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Battery problems

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm forgetting the simple task of wiring in the battery. Where do I run the positive cable to and what wires go where on the sylenoid. 1988 4x4 ranger
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Depends on what starter relay(solenoid) you have, 3 post or 4 post, and if you are using '88 starter motor or a new starter with built in starter relay.
If starter motor has just the one larger cable coming from it then it doesn't have the built-in relay.

3 post
Starter motor cable connects to the one of the larger posts on the starter relay, pick one this is the only cable/wire connected here.
Positive battery cable runs to the other larger starter relay post, this post will have other wires, like alternator B+ wire and at least one more "power wire" to give 12volts to fuse panel and other equipment.

The smaller post on the starter relay(labelled "S") is for the key switch, this wire will have 12v(assuming other wires are hooked up) when key is turned to START, this wire closes the relay and sends 12volts to starter motor.

4 post is similar but the extra small post is labelled "I" this connects to + on the ignition coil, the 4 post will also have Battery post labelled and well as Starter Post

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Am I able to use a 4 post instead of a 3 post? I had a 3 post but I had a new 4 post laying around that I put on

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
yes you can, most of the aftermarket solenoids are four post/

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks very helpful!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals