• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad MPG

RangerRyan

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0l,2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Went to fill up the bronco today. I calculated it out and I'm only getting 8MPG. With a 3" BL, 32" tires, stock axles, stock gears and the stock 2.8 does this sound right? I really only drive it to school then to work and back which is only a couple miles of 35mph speed. I am really curious if somethings wrong? I am not heavy on the gas and I don't every really get above 3 grand.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
yep...sounds bad...my 350V8 gets 15mpg in town...you gotta remember though--ecach traffic light take 1mpg from what you'd normally get...(I can average 20mpg on the road...go into town & get stopped at 6 traffic lights--and the mpg-readout willslowly drop to 12mpg within 20 minutes of driving in town.....)...

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Pbheadshots

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/8 mix
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125968
The solution on this thread is the solution to your problem, the ignition. Long story short Ford put in a shitty ignition that overtime will wear out the electronics causing horrible gas mileage. Solution: new duraspark ignition ( information found here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8Duraspark.html ) Go to a junkyard get the parts install it and get better gas mileage.

not wanting to thread jack but are you sure? I get terrible MPG in my 88 B2 w/ 2.9, and cant figure a fix for it. :dunno:

RangerRyan

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0l,2.8l
Transmission
Manual
That's what I was thinking. I should do it anyways because I'm going with a duraspark ignition 302 when I get the engine rebuilt.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Farily certain, i get about 8 mpg after having a mechanic tune my carb and thats what ive heard about 60 times on this forum already :D

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Did you change your speedometer gear for the larger tires. It is set for I believe 14" wheels stock maybe 15 for the B-II. Anyway you can clock it using mile markers on the freeway just remember with larger tires you are going faster than what your speedo says. Another good way to clock your speedo is follow someone and compare speeds on the cell phone figure it on a percentage and you can estimate actual miles traveled when you calc the mileage. You can get a set of speedo gears and try different colors until you get close.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
For larger tires you want to go less teeth on the speedo gear.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking at the calculator you can estimate your speed in light years just wondering where that is applicable.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also for the OP i have a question does your truck feel incredibly snappy on the throttle when you first start it up? but gets less and less snappy after a minute or two of driving then kind of sets in to a funk where it sits for the rest of the day until it cools down again? This is what i feel and definitely proves that the ignition is crap. I read somewhere that with these ignitions over a certain mileage they have a 100% failure rate

RangerRyan

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0l,2.8l
Transmission
Manual
It runs very crappy when I first start it. It almost sounds like its missing but once its warm it runs okay not great though. Also I forgot about the speedo. No I didn't change it. It's about 5 mph off. Would that have a huge affect on the trip meter.

edit: I actually have a gps that i can track the distance with so this week I will do that and see what my real MPG is.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You can try preventive maint on it first. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV, breather filter in the air filter housing, clean the IAT sensor in the filter housing with rubbing alcohol, disconnect the battery for at least 1/2 an hour to reset the computer. Make sure all the sensors are plugged in when you start it. Another common problem is the EGR air bleed vacuum line that allows the egr to close it is the closest solenoid to the firewall and goes under the air horn on the carb. If you disconnect the vacuum line to the egr while it is running and it runs better the bleed circuit is plugged or not pluged in correct. What it does is allows filtered air in to egr circuit to allow the egr to close when the computer says to. Just somethings to look at before you pull the codes. To test the egr at an idle connect manifold vacuum up to the egr the engine should stall and whenever you clean or change a sensor the computer needs to be reset even if you just unplug a sensor while the engine is running the computer goes wacko. Make sure everything is plugged in before you start it up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals