• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B4000 shift lever stuck in Park

Ragnar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3" Body lift
Tire Size
LT265/75R16 .... (31s)
Was out in the woods with my 05 B4000 4x4 yesterday and stopped to take some photos and walk around a bit. When i got back in to leave, the truck started right up, but wouldn't come out of park. I crawled underneath to see if something had jambed the linkage and couldn't find anything wrong. I also could not move the linkage manually. After retrying starting and shutting off the ignition several times, the shifter finally came loose and i got out my situation. I just recently purchased this truck and have never encountered this in any of my vehicles before. Anyone have an idea of what is going on?

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
I can only guess that the steering whee;l lock was stuck in the twilight zone and the act of turning the ignition on and off several times brought it back into alignment - assuming of course that you have a steering wheel lock.
Sometimes when the steering wheel is sitting at an odd angle it will lock in a set position and not allow the lock to release without moving the steering wheel to free up the lock mechanism.
In either case you may want to pull the steering wheel/column covers and take a look at the locking mechanism.
DISCLAIMER: Other more knowledgeable folks will come along shortly with more definitive help.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Maybe that stupid solenoid/safety thing that requires you to step on the brake to get it out of “park”? Ive always hated that “feature “, along with auto-locking doors and seat belt dingers.

Ragnar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3" Body lift
Tire Size
LT265/75R16 .... (31s)
Maybe that stupid solenoid/safety thing that requires you to step on the brake to get it out of “park”? Ive always hated that “feature “, along with auto-locking doors and seat belt dingers.
Solenoid/safety thing? Don't you always have to step on the brake to shift out of park on any vehicle ?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Solenoid/safety thing? Don't you always have to step on the brake to shift out of park on any vehicle ?
yes, since about the mid-90’s, its another thing that can fail, I bypassed it on dads 94 F250 years ago but don’t remember just how I did it, think I clipped the wire on the lock solenoid, this was the first automatic we had on the farm with that “feature” and it was annoying to grab a lever that wouldnt move then remember you needed to step on the brake. Our previous farm truck was a 77 F250.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
BTSI... Brake Transmission Shift Interlock. Might be a GM term... but it's the one I remember.

Sometimes if you park with the park pawl loaded (think inclined or declined) you can have a little trouble pulling it out of park. That's why it's a good idea to set park brake in those instances.... takes the load off the park pawl.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sometimes if you park with the park pawl loaded (think inclined or declined) you can have a little trouble pulling it out of park. That's why it's a good idea to set park brake in those instances.... takes the load off the park pawl.
This would be my guess

Ragnar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3" Body lift
Tire Size
LT265/75R16 .... (31s)
BTSI... Brake Transmission Shift Interlock. Might be a GM term... but it's the one I remember.

Considering I was parked on a level, I doubt a load on the park pawl was the cause. We even tried rocking the truck frontwards and back while I tried disengaging the shifter.

Ragnar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3" Body lift
Tire Size
LT265/75R16 .... (31s)
UPDATE : After asking questions in here and doing more research online I decided to replace the Shift Interlock Solenoid. The part cost me about 100 bucks Canadian. I am not a mechanic, however I am a retired aftermarket parts counter man, with some limited mechanical skills. I found a step by step video from 1A Auto on YouTube showing how to replace the solenoid on a 95-09 Ranger. It took me about two hours to complete and I thought, "Success". Tight quarters and a few choice words, got the job done. I thought the problem had been rectified. It shifted as required, when required! And no more locking up in Park. Drove it around for most of the day with no problems. 4 hours later, it's happening all over again. Locks up almost everytime I shut it off again, and after trying to restart it over and over, it sometimes will shift out off park. Obvious, It's not the Shift Interlock Solenoid causing this problem. A friend thought maybe it was the neutral safety switch causing the problem . At this point, I'm frustrated and at a loss of where to look next. I don't want to throw a whole bunch of money for parts if it doesn't solve the problem. Has anyone had this problem and how did you fix it ? Surely. I can't be the only one !! PS. Why do consul shift vehicles have an interlock bypasss on the consul, yet, a column shift vehicle doesn't? There has to be some way to bypass this system without replacing a bunch of parts that won't work !!!

Last edited:

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There is a bypass in the column, it's a huge pain in the ass though

Ragnar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3" Body lift
Tire Size
LT265/75R16 .... (31s)
There is a bypass in the column, it's a huge pain in the ass though
I found a temporary bypass that will work until it goes to the shop for repair next week. If it doesn't shift from park when you start it, turn ignition off. Put the Ebrake on, turn key to first click, push on brake pedal and pull the shift lever down to neutral. It will then start and shift into any gear.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That sounds like your transmission range switch is bad.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
If it doesn't shift from park when you start it, turn ignition off. Put the Ebrake on, turn key to first click, push on brake pedal and pull the shift lever down to neutral. It will then start and shift into any gear.
You put your one hand in
You put your one hand out
You put your one hand in
And you shake it all about

You put your one foot in
You put your one foot out
You put your one foot in
And you shake it all about

You do the hokey pokey
And you turn yourself around
That's what it's all about

Sorry. It sucks when technology fails us. I do hope that you get it repaired quickly and as painlessly as possible.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals