• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B303 Cam

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Alright my info: Some things are done, the rest are planned. Just trying to be accurate.
1997 mountaineer engine. Ported gt40 heads, gasket matched intake, racing exhaust, custom made headers, as of now stock rockers and valve springs. Looking to use the b303 cam but i have not seen it in the explorer engines. Not totally sure about the differences between the explorer engine and the older mustang engines. Is it compatible? and would i need new valve springs or rockers? Piston clearance? Any help would be appreciated. I've searched through a good deal of threads but couldn't find a definite answer. Sorry if i'm asking an already answered question but I could not find anything. Thanks

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There should be no problem running it with an Explorer engine.

It is an awesome sounding cam... I checked into it but I just don't think it belongs in a 4x4 truck. The idle is pretty rough, it would be perfect for a drag truck or Mustang though. :icon_thumby:

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
There should be no problem running it with an Explorer engine.

It is an awesome sounding cam... I checked into it but I just don't think it belongs in a 4x4 truck. The idle is pretty rough, it would be perfect for a drag truck or Mustang though. :icon_thumby:
Good stuff, the 4x4 is only there for the winters I don't crawl with it or anything. I'm making a street truck. I wanted a good sounding cam. Any worries about valve springs or rockers?

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
I also heard that the explorer computer is not a fan of aftermarket cams, and won't run properly.

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
A custom tune may be needed for the Ex PCM. After receiving complaints, Ford Racing posted this footnote for all of the small block "alphabet" cams:
Will not work with Explorer EEC-V EFI.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Are you going to run an auto or manual trans?

A friend of a friend has a Factory Five Cobra kit with a bone stock 97 Explorer motor, except it has a B303 cam. It sounds quite nice. I have a crap cell phone recording (prior to the smart phone days) that I will try and find.

I've always wanted my Mustang to struggle to idle :D - listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HHRFu-M7lY

Last edited:

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
There isn't a problem with the motor or cam. The problem lies in drivability issue using the Explorer ECM. I'd be surprised if that Fac5 Mustang uses the Explorer electronics.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I'd be surprised if that Fac5 Mustang uses the Explorer electronics.
It does not. It's got an A9L. Thanks for mentioning that, I meant to add that in there.

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going auto sadly. Would have been a pain to change it. Anyways I really like the choppy idle of that vid and that is exactly what i want my truck to sound like. I'm still not getting this that clearly though. If I get it tuned will the drivablility issues be resolved?

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Ford engineers (over at TRS) who had done the Explorer swap used the "E" cam and were able to get them to run right retarded the cam timing 4 degs. Dasfinc (used to be a regular here) used the comp cam XE264HR-14, very similar to the "F" cam with no problems. Remember that those Ford engineers said the drivablity problems came from the tight LSA, 114 about the tightest that works. Not sure if duration came into play also. Dan's truck at idle.
Dave of the Nord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD0i-zi5nVo&feature=relmfu

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Well I talked to Summit Racing today about the b303 and they said it will work. I just need, retainers, valve springs, and shims so I'm going to give it a try. This project's getting expensive fast lol

Muscleford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think the "B" cam works well with and automatic trans.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I don't think the "B" cam works well with and automatic trans.
Yes it does. I'm running a Z303 in my 331 with a C-4 with a mild stall converter (something around a 1500-2000) and it's a great combo. I've run the B cam in my old Ranger, albeit with a 4 speed, it worked great with a carb. These cams sound a lot more radiacal than they really are. The duration figures at .050 are pretty tame. I ran the B cam with 1.7's to increase the lift to .510.

Last edited:

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Yes it does. I'm running a Z303 in my 331 with a C-4 with a mild stall converter (something around a 1500-2000) and it's a great combo. I've run the B cam in my old Ranger, albeit with a 4 speed, it worked great with a carb. These cams sound a lot more radiacal than they really are. The duration figures at .050 are pretty tame. I ran the B cam with 1.7's to increase the lift to .510.
So baddad, do you think it will work with my application? I'm getting new valve springs, retainers, and shims. The rest of my info is above.:icon_confused:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So baddad, do you think it will work with my application? I'm getting new valve springs, retainers, and shims. The rest of my info is above.:icon_confused:
I don't know how it'll work with the Explorer computer, otherwise it's fine with the rest of the build. It will work with a Mustang computer, the B cam was originally made to "cam up" an 86-87 5.0 HO with speed density.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals