• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B2 towing question

Broncojumper87

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Okay so i kind of have this redneck idea for a cheap camper that im curious if my b2 would be able to pull it. My idea is to find a ranger that has been cut in half and the bed and rear section turned into a trailer. I want to find a slide in camper or a bigger shell preferably the slide in that way the trailer isn't dedicated to just camping. So my question is can a b2 pull a setup like that safely?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The problem with that setup is there isn't working brakes on the trailer. You can get a ball coupler with a hydraulic reservoir to operate the brakes that has a lockout for reversing. Then it all depends on legalities re; gvwr and insurance.

Richard

Broncojumper87

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
In kansas it doesn't need to be tagged or insured wouldn't think it would be heavy enough to need brakes?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ranger box trailer is basically a 3,000lb capacity trailer and Kansas law requires trailer with capacity greater than 2,000 lbs to have brakes.

You will be closer than you might think: Stock Ranger has almost 1,300lbs on rear wheel sitting on showroom floor. Now you lose the percentage of cab that is on rear wheels, but you will still be close to 1,000lbs. Box isn't super light, frame/springs/axle are designed for the 2,750 rear GAWR (+ some overload factor of safety). And even a light slide in camper is >1,000lbs (Adventure 80GS is 1,750lbs wet which is about a small a full size commercial slide-in as you find - I have been thinking of using a slide-in on f-150 box built up as 5th wheel behind my Ranger, so looked into weights.)

And given the BII can only take ~800lbs in payload, you might need to load a lot in trailer to stay legal...

Broncojumper87

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There's car trailers without brakes so i guess im some what confused on that. I see guys all over town with fullsize truck bed trailers without brakes in fact dont think i have ever seen one with brakes at least not for sale any way. Also a lot of weight would be shed the biggest being the fuel tank. It sounds like you have done way more research then me literally just came up with it this morning.

Last edited:

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 1989 owners manual rates towing capacity.
5 speed trans 3.45 rear end 2000 lbs
3.73 rear end 3000 lbs
It also recommends that trailers over 1500 lbs be equipped with brakes.
The bumper hitch is rated at 2000 lbs with a max of 200 lbs tongue weight.

You might want to consider a small used pop-up camper. It would not give you the dual use, but would probably be lighter.

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There are legal, safe and possible limits and it's all fun until someone has an accident. When your insurance company walks because you weren't legal you have an issue. So on public forum, I will be conservative.

Adding brakes to a truck box is so easy; the line is right there; you just need to spend an extra $100 to get the coupler with brake actuator. And then you are within all 3 limits.

Fuel tank really doesn't make much difference - 15 gals * 6 lb/gal = 90lbs (and part of that was on front wheels in Ranger)

Going with common spare would save me almost as much (My Ranger runs 245/75R16 which weighs ~75lbs including rim) include hardware under bed to mount the spare and it might be more.

Broncojumper87

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My 1989 owners manual rates towing capacity.
5 speed trans 3.45 rear end 2000 lbs
3.73 rear end 3000 lbs
It also recommends that trailers over 1500 lbs be equipped with brakes.
The bumper hitch is rated at 2000 lbs with a max of 200 lbs tongue weight.

You might want to consider a small used pop-up camper. It would not give you the dual use, but would probably be lighter.
my original plan was to get a pop up and most likely will just ran across a couple different builds on different forums where guys turned truck bed trailers into budget off road campers and it seams to be cheaper then a decent pop up around here. I wasn't real sure what half of a truck weighed so thats why i asked my original question. I have no doubt in what you guys are telling me and was not trying to question it i dont have much experience in pulling trailers only pulled a trailer a few times.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Well...according to many people around these forums you can tow whatever you want, its a ford it will tow anything mentality LOL JK.

The Bronco 2's weren't built really for towing, the short wheel base makes them impractical tow rigs and really cuts down on the tow capacity. IMO 3k would be really pushing the limits of a B2. A ranger it would be fine, but the B2 not so much. A pickup bed trailer, especially one from a Ranger, or similar wouldn't be an issue empty, but you start throwing stuff on that trailer and you'll quickly find that trailer weighs quite a bit more than you would expect. I have a full size truck bed trailer, and my B2 would pull it just fine empty but load it up and it was too much. My B2 had a hard time with the 2100lb car trailer I have just moving it around the yard. My pickup bed trailer does not have brakes, and I wouldn't pull it around loaded behind a B2. My B2 is gone now anyhow and wasn't even setup for towing as it wasn't wired for lights and given its lackluster results just moving things around the yard I wouldn't have wanted to tow with it period.

I'd definitely put an axle on it that has electric brakes regardless what you states regulations are. Anytime you can add a braking axle to something you are towing it just makes sense to do so. I wished at times my little ATV trailer had brakes especially offroad on trails where the trailer would want to try and pass the truck due to its lack of traction. Tires are another thing to consider, get good quality tires, and depending on what you are going to be travelling through, you may want to consider an all season or even an all terrain tire rather than standard trailer tires.

Don't get me wrong, the engine and rest of the drive train is quite capable of 3k towing but the short wheelbase really keeps you from using the vehicle to its potential. I didn't venture into doing anything to my B2 to get it tow ready due to the shape it was in. However, I'd think with some good springs, stabilizer bars, a good hitch system, it would do fine and add trailer brakes of course.

Broncojumper87

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Im looking for the lightest setup possible i have no intentions to tow anything crazy its my daily driver/ light duty off road ri just wanting something that i can keep my camping gear in. From what i can tell a small pop up is going to be lighter and more comfy then a bed with a toppper on it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The small truck bed trailer, camper shell, air mattress and a sleeping bag and your all set, did that in the back of my truck for several years, beats sleeping on the ground.

Broncojumper87

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The small truck bed trailer, camper shell, air mattress and a sleeping bag and your all set, did that in the back of my truck for several years, beats sleeping on the ground.
This is my idea for the most part then if need be i can haul stuff around. I have came across a couple really basic slide in campers basically had a place on either side for a person to sleep which is kinda what im looking for not talking about a slide in with every luxury possible.

Harley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5 in susp 2 in body
Tire Size
35 1250
This is my idea for the most part then if need be i can haul stuff around. I have came across a couple really basic slide in campers basically had a place on either side for a person to sleep which is kinda what im looking for not talking about a slide in with every luxury possible.
my pop up trailer is about max of what i think is safe with the b2...2000 lbs, no brakes....any heavier and it would be hard to slow it down and i would need more power even with my 4.10s

Attachments

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
A load-equalizing hitch (single-bar type) pretty much makes the BII's short wheelbase a non-issue (I also have an anti-sway bar (friction type), just for good measure).

I tow this thing from time to time up to Oregon and back to So Cal (about 3500lbs). Wind gusts from passing semis don't bother it (or my BII) at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals