• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Axle interchange for Torsen rear diff?

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
They aren't necessarily the same length. But you could try switching them, that would tell you for sure.

Last edited:

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
What he said.
Thanks everyone for the input.

Pretty sure left & right axles aren't the same length. Agree that there's some 'play' room with drum brakes (more so than disc). Have carefully 'eyeballed' axle tube, seems straight, no wrinkles. Why not put the Torsen & ring & pinion in an Explorer housing? Ranger diff is low mileage, (less than 50k), no rust, beautiful inside. Before I buy an Explorer axle to be cut I'll try to find a correct one.

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
...Before I buy an Explorer axle to be cut I'll try to find a correct one.
If I understand the suggestion correctly: Start with the entire Explorer rear end (which is easier to come by than a FX4), housing, disc brakes and all. Remove the factory Track-Loc and gears. Insert Ranger Torsen and gears. The Explorer axles are made to fit this housing, no need to cut. (Unless the carrier end of the Torsen axle is different than regular 8.8.) You just have to move and flip the spring perches and it bolts right in.
Of course, if you can find a FX4 rear end that is the easiest route, they just aren't common.

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
If I understand the suggestion correctly: Start with the entire Explorer rear end (which is easier to come by than a FX4), housing, disc brakes and all. Remove the factory Track-Loc and gears. Insert Ranger Torsen and gears. The Explorer axles are made to fit this housing, no need to cut. (Unless the carrier end of the Torsen axle is different than regular 8.8.) You just have to move and flip the spring perches and it bolts right in.
Of course, if you can find a FX4 rear end that is the easiest route, they just aren't common.
Already have a rear diff from a 2004 FX-4 Level II Ranger, but it's missing the left axle due to a wreck. Actually I'm missing left brake hardware as well. Everything easy to come by but the left axle which is apparently unique to a Ranger with 31 spline Torsen limited slip. I'd really rather keep the Ranger rear than switch to Explorer, so........do I buy a pricey Ranger axle or modify an Explorer axle?

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Just buy the axle for the ranger. Sometimes its not worth the headache trying to find something that is hard to find and also probably has some wear and tear on it already.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Already have a rear diff from a 2004 FX-4 Level II Ranger, but it's missing the left axle due to a wreck. Actually I'm missing left brake hardware as well. Everything easy to come by but the left axle which is apparently unique to a Ranger with 31 spline Torsen limited slip. I'd really rather keep the Ranger rear than switch to Explorer, so........do I buy a pricey Ranger axle or modify an Explorer axle?
Modify the Explorer.

There is no objective value to keeping the Ranger specific axle and housing if the unit is not ready to drop in and go.

On the other hand, if you go with the Explorer axle and need to replace parts down the road, parts for that are plentiful.

I have a Torsen carrier in an Explorer axle in my Ranger. The only part about it that was even a little difficult was getting the axle retainers in. It is a tight fit, and the driver's side specifically I had to remove the parking brake and make sure the hub was rotated just so that the head of a wheel stud did not touch anything before it would go in far enough to get the retaining clip in.

Last edited:

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
$188 each at RockAuto before discount & shipping.

Decided to go the safe route & buy new since the rest of my Torsen is in such good shape. Rock Auto price at my door slightly over $200 and two days early...Now just need a brake drum & backing plate - '92 - '98 V8 Explorer, right?

Thanks for heads up pjtoledo.

FYI: Total length is 30 1/8" from inner "button" to outer edge of wheel mounting/brake drum flange.

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
Found a nice brake drum from '06 Ranger 4x4 but brake backing plate was trashed from being dragged around in JY. Did discover that 28 spline rear diff backing plate will NOT work on 31 spline axle housing, bolt hole spacing different.

So, what are my choices? Ranger FX4 w/ 31 spline or '92-'98 Explorer V8? Are all V8 Explorers w/ rear drums 31 spline?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Thanks everyone for the input.

Pretty sure left & right axles aren't the same length. Agree that there's some 'play' room with drum brakes (more so than disc). Have carefully 'eyeballed' axle tube, seems straight, no wrinkles. Why not put the Torsen & ring & pinion in an Explorer housing? Ranger diff is low mileage, (less than 50k), no rust, beautiful inside. Before I buy an Explorer axle to be cut I'll try to find a correct one.

The housing may not be tweaked enough to have wrinkled, but it may still be off enough where it'll constantly be eating up bearings.

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
The housing may not be tweaked enough to have wrinkled, but it may still be off enough where it'll constantly be eating up bearings.
Good point.
Have consulted several knowledgeable people on checking for straightness: Carefully measured from cast iron carrier housing to backing plate flange, set up a stringline to use as a straight edge & measured several places from it to housing - so far so good. As-yet-untried test suggested by my niece: use laser pointer to shine thru entire housing, piece of glass on both ends. I'm learning a lot.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals