• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Awwwwww

oolbreeze

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I finaly had the truck perfect. no knocking no clicks or pings smooth shifting nice exhaust. Had just dropped off new tires and rims and had the money ready to take to body shop have all rust removed and repaired and painted. Then on the way home going up a large hill I accelerated the truck down shifted and right at the point I usually and was letting off something gave. The motor sputtered so much that the truck was in gear and moving but could not gain momentum. still runs good in warm up loop. Just had distributor replaced and have had trouble keeping it tight.

It is a 1991 ranger so the distributor is the cam shaft and sensor. no fluid spill no oil around motor no oil in coolant no milky oil or smoke all fluid levels correct no smoke or fluid in exhaust pipe.the vacuume hose to modulator was good any ideas.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There were four engines in Rangers in 1991, two of which had distributors. Care to clue us into that important piece of information?

Anyway if you have had issues keeping the dis tight the first place I would look is at the timing. Is it correct, and if not has the distributor moved at all? Can it be moved by hand? It is not unprecedented to see the roll pin that holds the cam gear to the dis shaft break. That can cause your symptom. It is not likely on a brand new unit, but it has happened to me before, and it took me months to figure out the issue.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yeah, you can add details to your displayed information by going into the USER CP near the top of the site and choose the appropriate section. Some like to give details also in their signature...and you can use links to various things like ADSM08 has in his...projects...

You can even add an avatar to your profile to make a statement...or many others...

Details about your engine and that save quite a bit of guesswork...and I do recall replying to your previous thread but I can't remember what engine you have...

oolbreeze

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
it is the first gen vulcan 3.0 v6 and have had the distributor tighten 2 since put in

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals