• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Automatic 3.0: Runs normal but engine stalls when shift into neutral while rolling

nobb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is a very weird problem. The truck starts, stop, and runs 100% fine. But I noticed that if I am driving at a low speed (~20-30 km/h) and shift into neutral while braking, the engine will get into a stall as I'm slowing down. Since this truck is an automatic, this doesn't really affect normal drivability because it's not a situation that normally happens. But it does seem weird, so I'm wondering if someone could comment if this is normal behavior?

Is there anything I can try to diagnose? Truck runs fine with no check engine light or anything.

Thanks.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ok i just gotta ask... why are you shifting an automatic into neutral while braking?

nobb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok i just gotta ask... why are you shifting an automatic into neutral while braking?
I'm not, that's why I'm saying it's not a normal drivability issue. I just happened to discover this and it's bugging me why it would stall out like that...doesn't seem right.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My guess would be the transmission is confused by the action and is either not releasing the converter clutch properly when you make the shift to neutral, or its simply turning the truck off because it thinks your drunk? :dunno:

Tater55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My guess would be the transmission is confused by the action and is either not releasing the converter clutch properly when you make the shift to neutral, or its simply turning the truck off because it thinks your drunk? :dunno:
I was fixing to say I do this all the time, then I saw the “automatic” part :LOL:

Maybe a vacuum leak? My dads 98 3000GT does this as well. But his vehicle is a manual. Haven’t dug into it.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thing is, if you're that close to idle that you're rolling to a stop, the converter clutch has already released. On all three of my Ford's, the clutch doesn't even lock up til around 40 mph. And depending on terrain, it'll kick the clutch off, even at 50 mph. And when speed falls below 40, or maybe 35, I can see the tach become more active as the clutch releases. My Ranger used to unlock the clutch, and shift out of OD just going up a hill. Then I changed to 4.10 gears, and it stays in OD and locked up on hills. My Ranger doesn't have a tach, but thanks to a loud intake and exhaust, I can hear when the clutch locks up or unlocks. Especially windows down, which they usually are, even in rain.

As for neutral, I shift into neutral at all nap-inducing stop lights. When in neutral, the trans fluid does nothing more than go out to the cooler and back to the pan. It allows the oil to cool down some while you're sitting there catching some ZZZZs. My friend Rick, who owns ACE Transmissions in Midwest City OK, says it's really good and helps extend transmission fluid and transmission life itself. Been doing it for years, btw. Read it in some old magazine years ago. And yes, sometimes I shift it into neutral as I'm coasting the final few feet to the nap spot. Never had a problem doing it, in any of my vehicles.

NIGERIAN RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm thinking might be a torque converter issues or something?

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Does this situation occur all the time or only when the engine is warm enough for the fuel system to closed *closed loop*?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I fail to see how it could be a torque converter issue if the truck is in neutral.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is a very weird problem. The truck starts, stop, and runs 100% fine. But I noticed that if I am driving at a low speed (~20-30 km/h) and shift into neutral while braking, the engine will get into a stall as I'm slowing down. Since this truck is an automatic, this doesn't really affect normal drivability because it's not a situation that normally happens. But it does seem weird, so I'm wondering if someone could comment if this is normal behavior?

Is there anything I can try to diagnose? Truck runs fine with no check engine light or anything.

Thanks.
Try shifting into Neutral AFTER you are stopped, does it stall or stumble?

If you shift into Neutral and coast to a stop, NO brakes, does it stall?

If you have a tachometer what are the RPMs at when moving and shifting into Neutral?

One of the main fuel savings techniques of fuel injection is that injectors can be shut off when coasting in gear
So when you take your foot off the gas pedal while moving, injectors shut off until RPMs are under say 1,200 then computer starts them again at idle levels
Computer will add fuel now and then to keep Cats hot
But when throttle is closed and you are coasting in gear the engine doesn't need any fuel

"In gear" for a 1994 automatic(A4LD) is determined by the NSS(neutral safety switch) on drivers side of transmission, above shift rod
See if you can start the engine in Neutral
That will tell you if NSS is OK
You should be able to start engine in Park or Neutral if NSS is OK

Power brake booster leak
If it only stalls when using the brakes then could be vacuum leak in booster

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
If the converter clutch plate bearing in the converter is going away then the clutch can *wobble* causing an intermittent situation where the lockup *grabs* under all conditions (one will usually hear a metallic knocking noise from the converter as well). If the hydraulic control valve pressure to the the converter clutch is sticking *on* then the clutch cannot release properly as well. If one is experiencing this when it happens one shuts down the engine & restarts it the clutch issue magically disappears until one puts the trans back into drive again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals