• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ARRRGH! Damn coil.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK. What, besides a bad coil, would prevent said coil from creating a spark when it has a power supply?

Example.
Power supply is good.
Plug/connector is good.
Grounds are good.
Coil is good.
Crank the engine and no spark is generated.

There area two main wires. One power wire that pigtails to the radio capacitor and one wire that appears to control (?) the tachometer. What else does this tach wire do??

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
OK. What, besides a bad coil, would prevent said coil from creating a spark when it has a power supply?

Example.
Power supply is good.
Plug/connector is good.
Grounds are good.
Coil is good.
Crank the engine and no spark is generated.

There area two main wires. One power wire that pigtails to the radio capacitor and one wire that appears to control (?) the tachometer. What else does this tach wire do??
there should be a in-line resister on the feed to the cap from the coil. check it

if the pick-up coil inside the distributor can create the same situation as well

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The pick-up inside the distributor tells the coil when to make the spark. If it isn't talking the coil isn't sparking! It's a bitch to replace. The dist rotor must be marked on the engine, then the dist must be pulled. Then the drift pin on the bottom gear must be driven out. Then the pickup must be removed and replaced. Then it all must be put back together and the engine timed again.
Most guys simply purchase a rebuilt dist.. or even a new one.
DON'T FORGET TO MARK THE LOCATION OF THE ROTOR ON THE ENGINE BEFORE TAKING THE DIST OUT!!!
Big JIm

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. I was wondering about those two items. I did not realize how the spark control worked.

How would I know if the resistor is bad?

Jim....The pickup is a pita. I changed the one in my BII several months ago. Any suggestions to make it easier removing the pressed on gear?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As above! No changes from that post. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!
As for the resistor...all it does is to catch some electricity and quiet it down for the a m radio reception. Good or bad working or not working it has NO EFFECT on the spark.
Big JIm

PS. I just reread your post. I NEVER saw a pressed on gear!! All I have ever seen have a drift pin holding them in place. I have been told the drift pin is a safety SHEAR member.. Although I've never seen one of them sheared. Make sure to use a punch of the exact diameter to punch it out.
B. J.

Last edited:

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lol. yeah, there's no fun way about it. Last time I did this I used a rubber mallet to drive the gear off of the oil pump shaft, and then a socket and the mallet to drive it back on. I was just wonder if there was some better ("safer") way to get that bugger off of there and back on again.

The drift pin didn't give me any troubles. A nice selection of punch sizes is invaluable! :D

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
PS. I just reread your post. I NEVER saw a pressed on gear!! All I have ever seen have a drift pin holding them in place. I have been told the drift pin is a safety SHEAR member.. Although I've never seen one of them sheared. Make sure to use a punch of the exact diameter to punch it out.
B. J.
Hopefully this one won't be like the BII, because that little sob was stuck on there good.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If the fit is really tight use a small puller on it.. Should be rather easy and wouldn't harm the gear any at all.
Big JIm

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Will do. Thanks again.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well.......That was easy. Took about a half hour to yank the distributor, replace the pickup, put it all back together and time it. I think I'm getting pretty good at this! :headbang:

The resistor tested out at 22,000 ohms. I am assuming it's good.:D

Keeping my fingers crossed that the problem is finally solved. Initial test drive passed with flying colors.

Thanks again for your help Big Jim and Enriched. Hopefully I won't have to revisit this thread and start asking more questions.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals