• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Are all 4.0L OHV Y-Pipes the same?

PlasticsPaulie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I own a 1999 B4000 4.0L OHV - I had my catalytic converters stolen last week, the clowns cut at the y-pipe ahead of the cat portion of the exhaust. Turns out that's the harder part to replace.

The Y-pipe is the federal (non-California compliant) version with O2 sensors on each inlet. Absolutely no-one makes an aftermarket part for the Ford stock Y pipe (Part F87Z-5246-BA) which fit 1998-2000 Ranger 4.0L OHV and Explorers 4.0L OHV only.

So here is the question, or series of. The 1999 4.0L OHV is the same as in the 1997 4.0L OHV right? That being the case, does it make sense that the highly available Walker 50207 made for the 1995-1997 Ranger/Explorer 4.0L OHV would fit the 1999 4.0L OHV Ranger/Explorer model? And that the only reason it's not stated as such is because Ford started phasing in the SOHC 4.0L in 1998, meaning Walker and other AM exhaust mfg.s couldn't guarantee a fit to your truck because of the two model models overlapping in 1998-2000?

The pipes looks awfully similar. Here's a picture of my Y-pipe from a few years back. And one of the Walker 50207.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I don't know about that version, but; the early 4.0 y-pipe is compatible with the 2.9. So I'd think the only difference would be the O2 sensor locations on any 4.0 OHV y-pipe.

To be fair tho, 97 was the last year of TTB so maybe they have to be different to clear the differential?

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you can see which are the same on rock auto by comparing part numbers. as stated above 2.9 and pre OBDII 4.0 are the same. in 95 they clock the oval in the triangle flange differently. im not sure what happens after 97 if anything.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
I think there are two (or a few) different versions of the flange the cat section bolts to.

PlasticsPaulie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I checked the gasket part number for all the models and they pretty much all use the same gasket (Walker 31609) so it must have something to do with the different pitch angles of the triangular flange from year to year.

tsklan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 3.0 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
I hope you continue to update this thread as you learn more. I am having the same problem with my 2000 (99 build) 3.0 Flex truck. The stock y-pipe does not have catalytic converters - the cats are further back on a straight(er) pipe - just like in your picture of your exhaust in the bed of your truck. In fact, the exhaust might even be the exact same design. I can't find any option to replace the stock y-pipe. All that is available is a y-pipe with two catalytic converters.

PlasticsPaulie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I lucked out somehow. I probably contacted 25-30 individuals and found someone who was minutes away from cutting out their y-pipe. I was able to convince him to go through the trouble of unbolting (breaking bolts because they're rusted on) to spare the Y-pipe. I drove 5 hours each way to pick this up yesterday. The guy said without question he was going to cut it out to get to the transmission and engine parts from the 1999 Ranger he was parting.

Here is what I know. This part is specific to 1998 to 2000 4.0L OHV Rangers, and B4000 trucks. It may also come from 98-00' 4.0L OHV Explorers but I can't confirm, that's just what the Ford site lists. I implore you to write Walker and other manufacturers of aftermarket pipes to suggest they open up tooling and start making these pipes. I was the second guy to message the owner of this Ranger about his pipe after the post had been up for only 7 hours.

Between constant craigslist and FB messages I was able to get this. I probably spent 15 hours just trying to contact people over it. Write the pipe manufacturers and insist there is money to be made! It's clear there are a ton of people looking for these pipes, on top of the fact that they are far easier to cut-out than to unbolt means there are next to none floating around.

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
The only difference is the converters. They stopped making those Y-pipes because they have no converters. The new set up has three converters instead of just two. One in each down pipe and one right after they merge. I tried finding one a couple years ago and I was told they do not make them without the converters anymore.

KornTruck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I lucked out somehow. I probably contacted 25-30 individuals and found someone who was minutes away from cutting out their y-pipe. I was able to convince him to go through the trouble of unbolting (breaking bolts because they're rusted on) to spare the Y-pipe. I drove 5 hours each way to pick this up yesterday. The guy said without question he was going to cut it out to get to the transmission and engine parts from the 1999 Ranger he was parting.

Here is what I know. This part is specific to 1998 to 2000 4.0L OHV Rangers, and B4000 trucks. It may also come from 98-00' 4.0L OHV Explorers but I can't confirm, that's just what the Ford site lists. I implore you to write Walker and other manufacturers of aftermarket pipes to suggest they open up tooling and start making these pipes. I was the second guy to message the owner of this Ranger about his pipe after the post had been up for only 7 hours.

Between constant craigslist and FB messages I was able to get this. I probably spent 15 hours just trying to contact people over it. Write the pipe manufacturers and insist there is money to be made! It's clear there are a ton of people looking for these pipes, on top of the fact that they are far easier to cut-out than to unbolt means there are next to none floating around.

I got the same issue with my 3.0… as a fail safe, can i run that california emissions pipes and still pass emissions?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I got the same issue with my 3.0… as a fail safe, can i run that california emissions pipes and still pass emissions?
I don't know why the pipe itself would matter as long as it has the correct number of O2 sensors and number/type of catalytic converters. Y pipes are often replaced and made from scratch at exhaust shops.

funguy26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245/75R16
Sarah -n- Tuned for a header set for her 4.0l OHV heads to cats.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals