• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone wired up a line out converter before?

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Here's what I have going on. I am putting a 10" sub in my girlfriends 2005 ford focus. I've hooded up several sets of subs, but never with a stock head unit. So I bought a line out converter.

I have the remote wire run from behind the dash to the amp and its hooked to the "remote" port. I have the power cable from my battery positive ran to the amp. I have a ground ran from the amp bolted to a metal bracket in the trunk (I sanded it down to bare metal). I have my RCA cables from the line out converter to the amp. I have the sub hooked to the amp.

I have one sub and a mono amplifier. The converter has 4 speaker wires on it. I have one set of them hooked to the drivers side rear speaker.

The amp light turns on when I turn the car on.

Should my ground have a voltage reading?

Do I only have to hook the line out converter to one speaker or is it mandatory that I hook it to two speakers?

What all connections should have a voltage reading when the car is on?

Thanks guys

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Converter is a transformer, it converts higher Speaker level voltage to lower Line Level voltage.

If hooked to one speaker then you will get the frequencies and "level" for that speaker at the Sub.
Now in general a stereo recording will have low frequencies on both channels, Left and Right, but that is just in general, having both left and right connected takes the "in general" out, you would get all low frequencies at the sub, so up to you really.

Obviously the Rear speaker wire the sub is connected to needs to be getting a signal, so fader would control sub volume along with Main volume control.

If sub light is on then you have power at the sub

A Ground is 0 volts
Battery is 12 volts
Neither is "power"

Power comes when a higher voltage is connected to a lower voltage.
12v----------sub
Sub won't work this way because there is no lower voltage.

12v-----------sub---------0v(ground)
Sub light comes on(and amp) because power is passing thru it to 0v

Metal on a car doesn't always mean ground(0v), engine and trans sit on rubber mounts to isolate them from frame and body, body sits on rubber washers to isolate it from frame, body parts are also painted BEFORE they are assembled, so bolting them together doesn't automatically give them a good ground, no bare metal, which is good because there is less rust, lol.

But if the sub light comes on you do have a 12v and a 0v connection

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals