• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone have any swaps done to their trucks?

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I probably did the most extreme swap here. I swapped every part necessary to make my 1990 Ranger look and drive like a 1995 Ford Taurus.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Why did you have to drill the motor mount plate?
Because we didn’t change the mount and the one bolt is in a different place on the 5.0

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Gotcha. I just swapped the mounts over.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

Saxwing1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3” with torsion crank
Tire Size
33x12.5
If it possibly can be done (and a few impossible), it’s probably been done by someone on here at some point, lol. I’m on 5.0 swap #2 and I also went from 2.9 to 4.0 in my one Bronco II
that’s kinda what I was thinking was a 5.0 or a 4.0 I really wanted to do 4bt but it’s like 5k for the motor then you have to buy a very expensive bell housing adaptor if you use a different transmission then you still have to do the suspension because I have IFS

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Some of the guys here have spent a lot of time junkyard shopping to make things happen cheap. I have done my fair share, my choptop I fixed the cracked head, converted to 4x4, lifted 5” of suspension and including the purchase price had $1,600 ish into the original build. Granted, everything is more expensive these days, but it took a bit of fabricating and sourcing random parts.

I’m doing a bit of the same with my 5.0 swap. Dropped a couple hundred on a donor, been picking up random parts for a couple years, fabricating what I can. It’s still not going to be cheap, I’ll have a few grand into it all told, but I’m not just throwing the motor in, I’m rehabbing the motor (gaskets, plugs, water pump, etc), swapping both axles and replacing brakes and seals and stuff, rebuilding the suspension, etc. Shooting for basically a rebuilt truck at the end that shouldn’t need much for a few years. I did something like this with my F-150 years ago sans engine swap. Stuff needs fixed and replaced now, but I got about 10 years without it needing much beyond gas, oil and tires. Is a few grand worth 5-10 years of just driving it? I think so, it’s cheaper than buying new…

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

I did the 306 (5.0) and T5z fuel injection, normally it is my daily driver as of now the clutch slips and I have another project I'm trying to get to a certain point for winter storage going on so one thing at a time. But I get maybe 270 miles to a tank of 93 octane but its not stock and I am normally around 3.5k to 6k on my shifts..... so you could check out my build thread. (PROJECT JENNER) It has some useful information and entertaining arguments as per usual with me. It depends on how Autistic I'm feeling.... 🤷🏿‍♂️

Nightbiker07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
My explorer swapped Ranger gets the same mileage around town as 3.0 did, and does better on the highway. Unless you're whomping on it.

Cam, roller rockers, exhaust, headers, MSD Coils and SCT tune probably helps the MPG

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals