• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

any astrophysicists here?

JPRanger03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This thread reminds me of something I watched not to long ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KRZQQ_eICo

It is pretty long (about an hour and a half), but it may answer some of your questions and it's definitely worth the viewing

Last edited:

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
Light is indeed the fastest thing in the universe, so no, the matter couldn't of moved that fast, and light's speed is a constant (Although the VSL theory, which I find brilliant, challenges that).

Also, if you think about it, given the vast distances, the point at which the light was released from a galaxy moving away from us is not the same place it is when we see the light. Think of a bullet being fired backwards from a moving car.

Also, "edges" is a fancy word for "we can't see farther than this". So know one knows where the center is.
i disagree. i beleive that that it is possible to move faster than light. light has mass that has long been established. if we think about the whole e=mc2 then lets shuffle this around a bit. if energy=mass x acceleration2 then we can shuffle this equation and come to the conclusion that if light were to lose mass (dont have any clue how to do that) or gain energy then it would move faster. i think the same thing applies to all matter if you add energy or take away mass then it will move faster, do this to a great extent then why couldnt anything surpass the speed of light?

and what about the electrons circling the neculeous of whatever type of atom that makes up light? if the partical of light is moving at a set speed then wouldnt the electron orbiting the neculeous be moving faster than the speed of light as it moves forward around the neculeous in relation to the direction of travel of the light?

now as far as the size of the universe goes i think that it is infinitaly large and infinitaly small all at the same time.

sorry if the post looks like its written by a 2year old im not good at relaying my ideas into words

88SXT

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
doesnt a particle accellerator do just that?

dhinch279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Somehow I imagine this in national headlines:

"Small Group from The Ranger Station, better known as TRS, has now figured out time travel so they can take their RBV's back in time and wheel on currently closed trails"

(Long headline, I know)

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
meh, this is way more than i care to try to understand, im a mechanic not a scientist, i have a high school diploma and alot of OJT, not a doctorate and government grants for a fancy laboratory, if ya'll figure out how this applies to me, let me know, untill thn im gonna continue turning wrenches and getting covered in jet fuel and hyd fluid
Hmmmmm...as Ghandi said "it's not important what you do, but it is very important that you do it..."

I just finished a book published in 1996 called Black Holes and Baby Universes by Steven Hawking (also read Brief History of Time) and I still don't fully comprehend the "big picture"...so I'm not going to try to elaborate too much...

As far as infinite and finite...I think a few people have posted the idea...

As far as I can figure, it's still hypothetical as far as how big it is and how it all began...but the evidence very strongly points to the big bank theory where first there was the penny...then the nickel, then the dime...then the quarter, and, finally the Canadian Loonie and Toonie...that will soon be accepted all over the world.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Most of this stuff is theoretical. What we know today is different than what we knew yesterday and tomorrow's theories will be different yet. Steven Hawking is disproving theories on Black Holes that he developed just a few years ago. Regardless, I find it all very interesting and take in as much as I can.

I think the yo-yo universe idea makes a lot of sense but within our time-frame of existence it really doesn't make any difference.

My opinion of the original question. Yes, the Universe is finite but the density of the core of a Black Hole is not infinite, just extremely dense.

Here's one for you to think about. Could a Black Hole be a connection to a parallel Universe?

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
The only thing you can except in matters of the universe is that for all of mans understanding we know almost nothing. We can say with some certainty the universe started 14-20 billion years ago approx. The point at which gravity, dark matter(which is fancy for we dont know what it is but it acts against gravity), light, and matter all came into being. If we have a start of a big bang that means when we are currently living, now, is still apart of this; we are still banging, and the universe is still currently expanding and not slowing down but increasing its speed. If the universe expands to the point that dark matter is weakened and gravity can over come it then the universe will contract and we would in theory go back to the center point of the big bang completing the yoyo effect. If the universe expands and gravity is weakened dark matter will prevail and the universe will simply expand endlessly until all stars and parts of the universe are so far from one another that the skys will be black in all direction, all stars will die, and the universe will then be dead. If gravity loses to dark matter and we expand continually and at an exponential speed it maybe possible that the fabric of space will be ripped apart as the universe expands faster then the speed of light. We still dont know is the bottom line though. Then you have to consider the possibility of parallel and bubble universe. The big bang could be universes colliding and interacting with one another. Those universes could exist without black holes so we wont know the effect of a black hole because we dont know what happens when they're not present in a universe.

Last edited:

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
Here's one for you to think about. Could a Black Hole be a connection to a parallel Universe?
i think that it may be a connection to another time, its possible that it connects to a parallel universe but i think thats less likely than being a connection to another time.

i think that maby there is a boundry around black holes that once crossed will allow you to accelerate through time at a very fast rate compared to those outside of the boundry and that if you could enter the boundry and then find a way out that you could potentially travel throug time into the future but that is just because time is relative and is not a constant. i also beleive that if its possible to travel forward in time that it must also be possible to travel backwards in time because if there is a future then that must mean that there is also a past.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Even If a black hole was a portal to another dimension you would be transformed into pure energy and completely denatured ( torn apart ) so its impossible

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pontiacguy, I was referring to light being the absolute fastest because that's still the scientific standard of the day, and answering with theoretical evidence seemed to go against the point of trying to answer a question in a deffinitive way, but I liked your response, and personally, I am a supporter of the VSL theory which throws the "constant speed of light" out the window.

I wish I could say something intelligent right now, but I've been gentials deep in automotive research for the past year and a half, so I haven't brushed up on my sciences in a while lol

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Welcome back ratdog. Hope everything has worked out for the better?

voodoochylde

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I'd like to bring up the topic of a theoretical, as yet undiscovered particle: the tachyon.

Tachyons are conceptually extremely cool. Theory (both general relativity and string) have equations that describe some tachyonic behavior:

1.) Tachyons move faster than light.
2.) Not only do tachyons travel at superluminal speeds, they actually CANNOT go slower than the speed of light.

Number 2 is interesting when one thinks of a curve showing the speed of light vs. required energy input to increase a mass' velocity. It's generally accepted that in order for a particle to attain light speed, an infinite amount of energy has to be put in. To put it in common sense terms (which I like), the faster you wanna go, the more energy you need. Eventually you'll reach a wall at which, no matter how much more energy you put in, you can go no faster.

Tachyons are completely opposite. In order to go faster, they actually LOSE energy. IOW, it costs a tachyon energy to slow down. That's somewhat like hitting the gas in your RBV to slow down.

Another cool concept that I haven't seen much about (and, honestly don't know where it fits into current theory) is quantum tunneling.

Instead of trying to lay it out in words, I'll steal someone else's graphic.

The top of the "mountain" in this picture is the unattainable speed of light. Tachyons from earlier would only exist in the right-side of the picture with normal known matter existing on the left.

Anywho, enough rambling...

RatDog8o8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If the speed of light is approximately 186,282 miles per second.....

.....wonder what the speed of dark is?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals