• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Adjusting Timing

The Fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Okay, timing is set right still, it was off because of the spout connector. It was not at 10* at idle until I pulled the connector.

As for the IAC, replaced the gasket and used a gasket sealer, still doing the same thing. I filled up the tank this morning and the truck feels like it has less power, it is harder to take off without it stalling. Any ideas about it. This is really getting to me, it is hard to shift gears when it surging at the shift RPM. I am going to replace the line the line that is on the intake to the throttle body tomorrow since the stock one is hard and the like. Does anyone have the link to pulling codes without a scanner, and to the what the codes are. I used to have them, but I lost them and can't remember where they are.
Nick

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Information for codes, and pulling the codes is in the tech library.

Paperclip works wonders...and if you do not have a functioning dash "CEL" light? You'll need a decent multimeter..analog works quite well for this purpose. Or you can go all out and get the high speed racing EEC-4 code puller from a parts store. (all it does? Is the paperclip part for you---and gives you an LED to work with for flashes)

S-

The Fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Okay, I found it. Damned me not looking where it was.
Nick

The Fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I took the truck to my mechanic buddy and we are both stumped on this one. He is thinking it could be the coolant temp sensor for the computer, which would explain why I am getting worse gas mileage. His scanner kept having batteries die in it, or we would have pulled codes. Monday morning we are going to pull any and all codes.
We checked the fuel pressure, it was 32psi at idle, and 42psi if took the vacuum line off the FPR. He took if for a test drive and the tack was jumping more then the truck was, so it could be something to do with the ignition system. The truck also seems to have a high idle that takes a little while to go down, also another trait of the computer not going into open loop.
Anyone have anymore ideas as to what it could be.
Nick

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
do a compression check
check those grounds and for vacuum leaks...in the Tech Library there is also a nice info on vacuum gage readings and what they tell you

The Fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Okay, pulled codes and it was running lean. Check the O2 sensor, one wire was broken and the other two where frayed. Replaced that, not running lean anymore but still doing the same thing. I will let you all take a guess as to what it is.

It was the TFI not plugged in all the way.:annoyed::annoyed::yahoo:
Thanks for the help. I knew it had to be in the ignition system, but where was the guess.
Nick

JTH1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
OK, stupid question time. What exactly is the TFI? I've seen it used several times on here and I'm not familiar with the acronym.

JTH1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Ah, now I know. thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals