• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Adding Weight To the Bed For Winter Traction

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
Nearly wrecked the truck a week ago on some black ice near Cripple Creek. Twisty mountain road, heading down hill grade and the road transitioned from sunshine to shade around a left hand curve and the rear end broke loose on black ice and headed for the ditch. I was able to quickly steer right and bring it back in line but it was a pucker factor of about 10.

I've driven manual shift vehicles since 1985. While I like the Ranger... I truly hate not being able to let off the accelerator and have instant motor braking. Truck was in 2 wheel drive. Roads were dry and clear up until that point. 40 mph zone, I was driving 35mph.

So I reflected back to the old days when I drove automatic transmission vehicles and decided to add some ballast to the truck.

I installed the rear divider I previously built for The Lumber Rack. Then bought (4) 60 lb bags of Quikrete Tube Sand. The problem is these bags freeze and get hard as a rock. Then when you hit the brakes they like to move around. I'm also concerned that under heavy braking or, heaven forbid, a head on collision that these bags will end up being projected over the divider and through the back window.

So I attached a piece of 3/4" plywood by screwing it to the rear divider with (4) countersunk screws, and then added a bungee chord across the plywood, attached to the rear bed tie downs.

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I do pretty much the same thing with a 2x8 across the bed in the bed slots to keep things from sliding forward. Only difference is I started using cat litter packed in sand bags. It costs more than sand and you need a few bags more to get the same weight but it doesn't turn into a frozen brick. I think it also works alot better for when you need to open up a bag and spread it down in front of the tires if you get stuck.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It does, you can buy them on amazon... but I refuse to spend $150 on a bag of water. :icon_rofl:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I normally add 3/4 hundred lbs in sand bags to back, plus my toolbox, shovel, ect. Not really enough room for stuff to move around much. Never got stuck, even with an open rear and crappy all seasons.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I used to use some pancake block on the bottom of the bed, but now that you mentioned about accidents and flying projectiles, I am going to rethink that as well.

I like what you did as far as lumber and plywood, although the only suggestion I would make would be to used a stronger tie down strap instead of a bungee cord.

Usually in my area they salt the heck out of the roads, so I don't worry about weight in the bed as much as I used to. If I was in a pinch, I would just fill the bed with snow from shoveling my driveway and be on my way. By the time the roads would be clear, it would just melt away.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
one time (with my ‘93 4x4) I backed it up on ramps on a friday, put as much water as the bedliner would hold until it would run out the back, by monday morning it had froze enough to drive the truck, eventually freezing solid. Took forever to melt out once it started warming up. Would of hated to need a back tire change with that much weight in there.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have a fiberglass cap in the back right now but I also have only a 5" bed and a Supercrew Cab. So, it might not bea as light in the back as a Super Cab might be. The plan is to build a set of gear drawers under a platform that is flush with the wheel wells that will add more weight later on. Both from the wood and from the survival and recovery gear that will go in the drawers.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
one time (with my ‘93 4x4) I backed it up on ramps on a friday, put as much water as the bedliner would hold until it would run out the back, by monday morning it had froze enough to drive the truck, eventually freezing solid. Took forever to melt out once it started warming up. Would of hated to need a back tire change with that much weight in there.
When it rains and freezes overnight my bedliner holds a big ole chunk of ice in the front. I've developed a ingenious trick for getting it out. Pour a pot of boiling water around the edges, then find the nearest speed bump and drive over it at around 30mph. The ice flies up in the air and slams down shattering to a million pieces. Then just drop the tailgate, drive backwards and slam on the brakes. :icon_rofl:

A cop saw me doing this in the back of the home depot parking lot once and came over to see what the heak I was doing. When I explained myself he started cracking up...

wordsmyth

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Winter of '93 we had a massive snow storm in Alabama. I was scheduled to go to Ridgecrest, NC for what I call a preacher-man's coffee and donuts conference.

The day before we left I went to the nearby Lowe's and bought 300 lbs of topsoil in 50# bags and stacked them over the rear axle of my 2wd '93 Ranger. Eleven hours up with lots of ice patches as the OP described and not a single panic moment. By the time I drove back the next weekend the ice was gone, and the extra weight sure made the ride smooth.

After I got back, I went back to Lowe's and returned the topsoil, got my money back, and mentally wrote it off as a poor man's 4wd.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
Winter of '93 we had a massive snow storm in Alabama. I was scheduled to go to Ridgecrest, NC for what I call a preacher-man's coffee and donuts conference.

The day before we left I went to the nearby Lowe's and bought 300 lbs of topsoil in 50# bags and stacked them over the rear axle of my 2wd '93 Ranger. Eleven hours up with lots of ice patches as the OP described and not a single panic moment. By the time I drove back the next weekend the ice was gone, and the extra weight sure made the ride smooth.

After I got back, I went back to Lowe's and returned the topsoil, got my money back, and mentally wrote it off as a poor man's 4wd.
Really? What a cheapskate thing to do. Preacher man? You Sir need to do some internalizing.

wordsmyth

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes sir, I am indeed a cheap skate. I bought it at the dead of winter at a sale price and returned for the same. Then the next spring I rebought the same bags (or some that appeared to be so) plus a few more at the summer price and used it in my yard. I appreciated Lowe’s storing that dirt for me in between loads! :ROFLMAO:

Is this sanctimonious spirit you exhibit a genetic trait, or something you have to work at? ;)

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
Yes sir, I am indeed a cheap skate. I bought it at the dead of winter at a sale price and returned for the same. Then the next spring I rebought the same bags (or some that appeared to be so) plus a few more at the summer price and used it in my yard. I appreciated Lowe’s storing that dirt for me in between loads! :ROFLMAO:

Is this sanctimonious spirit you exhibit a genetic trait, or something you have to work at? ;)
It's called character. When you see or read about somebody being unethical, immoral, or just being a POS, call them out.

Today people have the mindset of "If I don't get caught I did nothing wrong". Some folks preach about doing the right thing... others actually do the right thing.

We'll all be judged in the end... till then... don't be a douche bag.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
For your reading pleasure;

wordsmyth

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good heavens! How did something as simple of a bag of dirt become unethical and immoral, and degenerate into bullying and name calling?

It's called character. When you see or read about somebody being unethical, immoral, or just being a POS, call them out.

Today people have the mindset of "If I don't get caught I did nothing wrong". Some folks preach about doing the right thing... others actually do the right thing.

We'll all be judged in the end... till then... don't be a douche bag.
The charge appears to be that I conducted myself in an unethical and immoral manner, thereby showing myself to be lacking in character and furthermore, deserving of being called a “POS” and a douche-bag.

So let’s clear the up the nuances of this dialogue for the sake of the gentle readers, scattered about the web-world coffee in hand, who are in need of an entertaining morning, eh?

Immoral – there is no immorality involved, because I did not fornicate with dirt. All I did was haul it from Alabama to North Carolina and back.

Unethical – I paid for the dirt in 50 lb. bags and returned in the same bags, in an undamaged condition, and well within the specified return period. So here’s the skinny on that in terms of ethics: when a product is purchased at a store (as opposed to stolen from the store), and when it is returned in good order (resalable condition) within the merchant’s specified period, there has been no breech of policy or related ethics.

Character – in view of the above (no immorality, and no unethical conduct) I think the “issue of character” is a moot point.

And about the POS and douche-bag comment: Name calling and falsified accusations of immoral or unethical conduct say quite a lot about character on the part of the accuser. I’ll just leave that right there…

Regarding your original post, the Ranger’s (I’m on my fourth) as historically “light in the aft-end” unless loaded. So kudos on a functional, sturdy, eye-appealing job that added ballast to the rear of your truck. Your work is certainly prettier than my 6 bags of dirt, and no doubt cost quite a bit more.

Finally, I wish you the very best for good health and personal contentment, and the same for your family, friends, and neighbors. But I do encourage you to work on that critical spirit, because good health and personal contentment for those around you may be possible only after you get some help. Seriously...

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Im Dirt! I don't appreciate being tossed around like that!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals