• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC leak after replacing engine

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
On my 2001 Ranger XLT RWD 2.5L engine, I had the shop that replaced my blown engine replace the refrigerant when they put in the donor engine. The AC worked fine for about a year but then it leaked out and blew warm. I just recharged it and it works fine again, but is there something that may need to be retightened? The compressor was replaced maybe 8 years ago and looks in decent shape still. I'm guessing this is only related to the engine swap. Any advice?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No not after a year, not related to engine swap

The new refrigerant should have had a dye in it, look up the brand you used to see, may need a UV Flash light to see it
The condenser, in front of the radiator, is the most common part to leak when its older

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Check each connection of the system with thickish soapy water while the AC is running, you might be able to spot the leak that way. If the leak is in the evaporator or condenser, it’s much more difficult to find.

-Jazzer

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals