• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ABS lockin up only in mornings

Jmazda94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Every morning on my way to work as I am going down my driveway then to our entrance rd. when I tap my breaks they lock up and I start sliding..My driveway is pretty steep and the entrance rd is very steep as well so when one of my neighbors is driving past my driveway I might end up hitting them there or at the stop sign to the main rd. very annoying. I have recently replaced both rotor,calipers,pads up front and a rear break line. ABS light is on but always has been..doesn't do it anyother time then the mornings..maybe cold..weirdness

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Check the usual...ABS fuse, electrical connections on the RABS valve and the speed sensor. I think there is a code if something in the RABS is going bad. From what I have read concerning this problem it sounds like you may need to replace the RABS valve located on the left frame rail.

YarnellKustoms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5l 4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
You might have a problem with your computer or fuses. I would take it to a shop and have them check your sensors and stuff. It could be a very easy fix, or it could be a pain in the ass.

steved89

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I had a similar problem on a 2000 B4000 4wd with rear wheel only abs. The abs light was an easy fix as the sensor in the differential failed. The brakes locking up had to do with replacement semi-metallic shoes. In the morning or after the truck sat at work in the rain or damp weather the rear wheels would lock up the first time I applied the brakes going forward. To prevent this from happening I had to apply the brakes while backing up. I think this broke up the small amount of rust that formed overnight. When I went to a different material brake shoe the problem went away. Hope that helps.

Jmazda94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys! those suggestions sound just like what im dealing with. Where is the RABS sensor on the diff.?

steved89

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
It's on the driveshaft side toward the top. Theres wires going into a plug thats clamped on with a 10mm? bolt. Just take the bolt off and it pulls right off.Pretty sure its the only wire going into the rear diff.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Every morning on my way to work as I am going down my driveway then to our entrance rd. when I tap my breaks they lock up and I start sliding..My driveway is pretty steep and the entrance rd is very steep as well so when one of my neighbors is driving past my driveway I might end up hitting them there or at the stop sign to the main rd. very annoying. I have recently replaced both rotor,calipers,pads up front and a rear break line. ABS light is on but always has been..doesn't do it anyother time then the mornings..maybe cold..weirdness
If the rear brake shoes are original they need to be replaced with high quality linings. Ford had a TSB concerning the rear brake linings absorbing moisture over night and causing grabbing in the morning. My truck does it too, but only down a steep grade like you and only in the mornings

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals