• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ABS light Comes On After Replacing Brake Light Switch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Long story short, my 99 Ranger 4.0 apparently had the brake lights out for god knows how long. Luckily I drive it twice a month. In any even run down to advance auto and replace the brake switch. All is well until I drive today and notice that after a few minutes the ABS light comes on and stays on. This never happened before, I think it is very coincidental. Anyone have a similar issue?

On a side note I did some googling and noticed that some people say that if your ebrake light does not come on the dash (which mine does not) upon pressing the pedal that can be the issue???? Any validity to that?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The two shouldn’t be connected. The ABS system is separate from the brake light.

As far as the ABS light, your truck is new enough that the fault code should be retrievable with the right scanner. Better to get the code to narrow down what the problem is instead of throwing parts at it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I agree with you but my local auto parts store said they cannot pull any codes from the ABS system. Is there a hack to do it myself? Like jumping some wires to pull the code?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
We'll have to wait for someone more in the know. I know it was possible with older vehicles for CEL codes but I don't remember anyone mentioning being able to do that for ABS or air bag codes.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The two shouldn’t be connected. The ABS system is separate from the brake light.

As far as the ABS light, your truck is new enough that the fault code should be retrievable with the right scanner. Better to get the code to narrow down what the problem is instead of throwing parts at it.

Just to give everyone who helped out and replied and for those who may have a similar in the future. The issue was the brake switch. Apparently the discount auto BWD AND the autozone Duralast brake switch were both bad. A ford tech friend I have in Florida said to try an OEM brake switch and stay away from aftermarket part, so ordered the ford OEM switch and just like that no ABS brake light coming on anymore. Again thank you all for those who tried to help it really is appreciated!

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Thank you for the follow-up and glad you got it fixed fairly cheap

AJ

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals