• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) about ready to give up and get rid of it

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
nope havent changed that yet
That could definitely be a source

Sometimes you need to just step back awhile and absorb all that's been done, and toss it around a bit, and really just let it rest. After the dust has settled and the air has cleared give it another look. Don't throw in the towel, just give it a rest awhile and then maybe you will see something in a different light

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Sounds like you threw too many parts at it lol.

If any of that stuff is not Motorcraft, send it back.

I would start with a scanner and pull some codes. I got a decent one for under $50 bucks.

My ranger has the old school OBD, so I got a scanner for that, also cheap.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

jjustjjosh

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" WULF suspension spindles, rear AAF
Tire Size
31x10.5x15

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
hello again everybody. let me start by saying thank you to everyone who has helped me on my journey on trying to fix my little blue truck. the stalling at idle issue has about done me in on keeping it. as per scttys90ranger advice on this issue in a another thread about it, i have got new coil packs, crank and cam sensors plus i also bought new plugs and wires for it just in case all of which should be here today. we have already replaced the throttle position sensor and the idle air control valve trying to take care of this issue. so if the parts coming today doesnt solve it i dont know what else to do. i cant keep throwing money at it. as it is i have more in new and replacement parts in it and for it (new brake lines, new battery, new inner and outer tie rods both sides, upper and lower ball joints both sides, replaced lower steering bar, two good replacement doors, drivers side front fender, grill, headlights, turn signals, a set of 16 inch jeeps rims and ford center caps for them to put on it and a almost new set of tires) then the truck is worth cuz i fell in love with my little blue step side truck as soon as i seen it and it ran and started so good, that i dont mind putting the money into its body or getting rid of the slop in its steering. id figured i could drive the money out of it for many many years to come plus thought i maybe take it to back to the bricks here in flint when i was done fixing it up. now this stalling/ idling has thrown me for a loop about it. please please please any advice on what to do, about this issue or should i give up if this dont cure the problem
It isn't just the money, most call it pride, and although we are best not having any over abundance of that, nothing wrong with the satisfaction of a job well done :)

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
update is the truck has been fighting my son every step of the way. the crank sensor broke off when he was trying to get it out, so he had to figure out how to get the piece out of the block, which he did with a lot of cussing and ingenuity. changed the coil packs and then just to see if anything had changed started it. nope no change still stalling at idle. today he changed all the plugs and wires. he said i had a busted plug and two bad wires on it. again started it to see if that was it nope no change. so he still has to change the cam sensor cuz the bolt is so rusted he cant get a bite on it to get it out . so tomorrow im going to buy a extraction socket to hopefully get it out. if when the cam sensor is changed if that dont make it stop stalling at idle, i dont know what else to do. also it did have a bad body ground right next to the battery but that has been fixed also with no change in the issue its having. havent got a scanner yet to pull any codes. was spending money that i really didnt have to put into it already, so i cant afford to get a scanner right now no matter how cheap they are.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
update is the truck has been fighting my son every step of the way. the crank sensor broke off when he was trying to get it out, so he had to figure out how to get the piece out of the block, which he did with a lot of cussing and ingenuity. changed the coil packs and then just to see if anything had changed started it. nope no change still stalling at idle. today he changed all the plugs and wires. he said i had a busted plug and two bad wires on it. again started it to see if that was it nope no change. so he still has to change the cam sensor cuz the bolt is so rusted he cant get a bite on it to get it out . so tomorrow im going to buy a extraction socket to hopefully get it out. if when the cam sensor is changed if that dont make it stop stalling at idle, i dont know what else to do. also it did have a bad body ground right next to the battery but that has been fixed also with no change in the issue its having. havent got a scanner yet to pull any codes. was spending money that i really didnt have to put into it already, so i cant afford to get a scanner right now no matter how cheap they are.
Id buy a scanner before i bought any more parts.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
did you crank on the stop screw to force the throttle open a bit when closed?
or block it somehow?

old school dash pot to slow closing of the throttle?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
or block it somehow?

I wouldnt mess with that screw untill all other options are exhausted.

Although it might not hurt to check voltage at the TPS with the throttle closed.

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
or block it somehow?

nope have not messed with the throttle body at all except for put the new idle air control sensor on it

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
how about putting a vacuum gauge on it. that may differentiate whether it's being choked for air or loosing spark/fuel.

I didn't see anything about cleaning the MAF sensor in previous posts.
they are delicate, be careful when cleaning.

does it die instantly, or struggle/stumble for a few seconds?

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
how about putting a vacuum gauge on it. that may differentiate whether it's being choked for air or loosing spark/fuel.

I didn't see anything about cleaning the MAF sensor in previous posts.
they are delicate, be careful when cleaning.

does it die instantly, or struggle/stumble for a few seconds?
nope havent messed with the maf sensor except to unplug it and plug it back in to see if it made a difference. died instantly but i posted a update thread about whats going on now with it called update we have a glimmer of hope trying to idle

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
or even a vacuum leak, spray a blast or two of starting fluid at the vacuum lines and see if it surges

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Fuel filter! I asked about it earlier in the thread. It's cheap. You didn't look at it, did you? Change it before you rip up anything else. Then see if the truck runs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals