• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Aaron's Long Travel TTB "Prerunner"

AaronC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
was the 60' feet for cage or for steering? Also could you post a few closeups of your steering? I don't want to let the cat outta the bag but I'm going to be building my truck into a 1450 truck
The 60 feet was for both. I sleeved 1.5" into 1.75" tubing for a total of .250 of wall thickness. I will get you close ups tomorrow and a parts break down..

The heims get confusing.. I used .5" bore misalignments on the pitman arm and swinger and 3/4" misalignments at the spindle..

Also.. A single swing setup on TTB isn't the perfect. The passenger tie rod is a little longer than it should be, but there is nothing you can do about it except add a cross member and another swinger.. There is barely any bump steer with my setup and I'm happy with it. The benefits to be achieved from a double swing setup do not out weigh the work and money that would go into it..

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a question for you, the guy thats helping me build my truck built his own class 7 toyota truck. He says instead if screwing with singe or double swing that we should use a hydraulic ram, Ive never heard of this on a LT truck, have you?

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hydro ram wont work with ttb

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
This is just bad ass!!! VERY nice job! As for the hydraulic ram thought...wouldnt it work using it in the center with a steering setup like that?

Last edited:

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well he said that we would hang it off of a crossmember in the center of ride height, however his truck a-arm not I-beam. And his truck is setup with a ram.

AaronC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
This is just bad ass!!! VERY nice job! As for the hydraulic ram thought...wouldnt it work using it in the center with a steering setup like that?
Why thank you...

As far as a ram goes..

You need the swingers to get the pivots where they need to be. The only way a ram would work is if you were to cross over the tie rods underneath it. It would be damn near impossible due to clearance issues. The swinger setup is your only option..

You could use a ram for hydro assist.. :icon_idea: Which is something I will be doing in the future..

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ill do the swinger setup

AaronC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Also need to figure out how to get 2 more tie in to the dash tube while keeping my wipers....

Simonsays? Can you PM me your secret on how to keep the wipers? I was thinking of running two wiper motors.. I don't know.. I am almost lost..

Last edited:

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

AaronC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
You sir are wrong. Look here. That is a PSC ram. On a Jeep YJ with a Dana 50 TTB with all 60 chromo components.

linky: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11127214&highlight=psc#post11127214
I believe he was referring to using a center mounted double ended hydro ram with tie rods coming directly off the ram's shaft.... Which wouldn't work due the amount of bump steer it would generate..

I do plan on mounting a ram on my truck and doing a drill and tap on my steering box once I do more research.. It's been done a thousand times in the past. All I would need is a single ended ram mounted to the top of my pitman arm..

AaronC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
I've got a decent amount of work done on the truck. I'll post pictures tomorrow..

So far I've mounted shocks, built a trans mount, started wiring.

I got one engine mount in today. I ran into a problem with RS's motor mounts.. I have a EGR block and the mounting points on the driver side is different. I'll have to call Dan tomorrow.

Someone asked for steering pictures..

I'll upload those tomorrow also...

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I believe he was referring to using a center mounted double ended hydro ram with tie rods coming directly off the ram's shaft.... Which wouldn't work due the amount of bump steer it would generate..
correct, ive read that build front to back.

it CAN be done, just not worth doing in an RBV.

AaronC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
See if I wanted to I could ditch the steering box and pitman arm setup all together. Although I do not trust solely hydraulics to steer my truck.
Rams are great for hydraulic assist or a a-arm vehicle. Swing set steering is the only way for a beamed truck.. There is just no way around it..

AaronC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Here's the lower shock mounting. I kept it real simple..

Here's the passenger side motor mount.. I moved the engine back a whopping inch..

My steering box is out of the truck so... This is the best I can do for steering pics.

This picture is deceiving.. The shock angle looks bad.. lol

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Your truck is looking good. The welds look good too, are you doing tig or mig. The reason I ask is I've read of people using mig with a start and stop style to make the weld look like tig. Just asking, I don't really know too much about that welding stuff.

Richard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals