• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

a4ld to fm132 swap in first gen questions

Clay46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so i went to the salvage yard to get a transmission and found out once i got home that i pulled a fm132 instead of an m5od like i had wanted. but i think im just going to go ahead and swap the fm132 in since i already paid for it and dont feel like finding another once since it was already hard enough to find a 2.9 2wd ranger. most that i found in my area were either 4x4 or had a 2.3. i did all sorts of research to put the m5od in and now that i have the fm132 im trying to find out a couple of things. first is the transmission the same length and output spline the same as the a4ld currently in my 1987 2.9 2wd?
second do i still need that floor plate cover to fill the shifter hole? third, is there a separate throw-out bearing thats not integrated into the slave cylinder? and lastly, can someone give me some sort of detailed instructions on removing a clutch pedal assembly in a first gen? thanks, I tried doing some research but seems like there isnt much info on the fm132

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The FM132 is just a 2wd FM145. It is going to be short. Your transmission mount isn't going to line up. You will need move it forward to the correct set of mounting holes, which are already there, you just gotta pop the rivets and move the ears forward. I don't know about the spline count, but the driveshaft will be short.

The FM132/145 trans also has a notoriously weak OD gear.

In an 87 you may well get away with your existing floor plate, since you already have a floor shifter.

Throwout bearing usually comes on the slave, but can be replaced separately. There is only one.

Removing the clutch pedals assembly is actually really easy. All you actually need are the clutch and brake pedals. If you crawl up under the dash and look up there, the clutch pedal is held in on the in-board side, by an E-clip. Remove that, unhook the MC rod, and the pedal will slide out to the left with a bit of finagling. After that you can grab the brake pedal and just pull, if it hasn't already hit you in the face.

Now I would take that sucker back if you can and actually get an M5OD. You are about 2 hours away from me, but I am about to break down a 2wd M5OD for parts. I don't need the parts that are specific to the 2wd version because I am building a 4x4, so if you had a 4x4 trans off a 4.0 I could rearrange it to be a 2wd unit that would work for you.

Clay46

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The FM132 is just a 2wd FM145. It is going to be short. Your transmission mount isn't going to line up. You will need move it forward to the correct set of mounting holes, which are already there, you just gotta pop the rivets and move the ears forward. I don't know about the spline count, but the driveshaft will be short.

The FM132/145 trans also has a notoriously weak OD gear.

In an 87 you may well get away with your existing floor plate, since you already have a floor shifter.

Throwout bearing usually comes on the slave, but can be replaced separately. There is only one.

Removing the clutch pedals assembly is actually really easy. All you actually need are the clutch and brake pedals. If you crawl up under the dash and look up there, the clutch pedal is held in on the in-board side, by an E-clip. Remove that, unhook the MC rod, and the pedal will slide out to the left with a bit of finagling. After that you can grab the brake pedal and just pull, if it hasn't already hit you in the face.

Now I would take that sucker back if you can and actually get an M5OD. You are about 2 hours away from me, but I am about to break down a 2wd M5OD for parts. I don't need the parts that are specific to the 2wd version because I am building a 4x4, so if you had a 4x4 trans off a 4.0 I could rearrange it to be a 2wd unit that would work for you.
im actually up at college in williamsport right now but i think im just gonna go with the fm132. all the other trucks arent up high enought to get a trans plus most still had an engine attached to them which this one did not. so i just need the pedals and not the whole bracket? i started on the bracket today and was trying to figure out how to get them out for thursday when i go again. i read that a tough pan would strengthen the transmission correct? im not really gonna be too hard on the trans as it will be my daily for the next year and a half while my other car is getting a built motor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals