• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD Problems AGAIN!

TomTom59

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 93 Ranger XLT 2wd 3.0 with the dreaded A4LD tranny. This was my late brother's truck and passed to me. The rear seal had been leaking and my brother messed it up royally by driving it completely out of fluid. Had it towed to a shop who replaced the A4LD with one I got from EverDrive. That one has been in service without problems for about 2 years.

The other day while coming home from work I looked in the rear view mirror and thought I saw light smoke behind me but wasn't sure if it was coming from my truck. I kept looking and later on I saw light smoke again. A couple of days later I left home and after backing into the street and shifting into drive it didn't want to move. I shifted into neutral and back to drive and it went without trouble. That same afternoon on my return home I pulled up where a side street meets a highway. Waiting for a break in traffic that finally came. I moved my foot to the accelerator pedal and after the engine revved up it grabbed into gear like it jumped from neutral to drive. :dunno:

I checked the fluid level and it appeared to be low so I added more fluid to bring it below the crosshatch area on the dipstick. Driving around the neighborhood it began smoking much worse than before. Fluid was coming from the front where the bellhousing meets the engine block. :bawling:

So I am supposing the front seal is blown (or worse). I'm disappointed in FORD for producing such a lousey transmission. :annoyed: I've towed no trailer or boat, only sometimes drove my riding mower up into the bed. Just normal regular driving is what this truck has had, no trips just around town only and I have NEVER shifted it manually.

I need to take it in but am not sure where to go. After getting ripped off by AAMCO years ago on an Acura I certainly won't go to them ever again and not even if my very life depended upon it. I paid them $3100 to rebuild a 90 Legend tranny in 2002! I think I could have bought a brand new one at the dealer for that price.

I find the truck very usefull and it keeps miles off of my Jaguar. When it is repaired I will add to this post to let you all know what the problem was.

Last edited:

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
Just wondering, did you replace the torque conv. when you replaced the trans?

look at your vent tube and see if trans fluid is comming from there.
do you hear A wierd tick or tap when its cold and its RPM matching?

If yes your TC is bad and flash boiling your trans fluid, and its dumping out the vent tube.

I recc. A new TC, trans filter (screen type), fill the TC befor installing, and I think the pan only holds 3qts.

TC, filter & gasket,6-8 qts of mercon3. should be under $300. for parts.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
The A4LD is really the only bad bad tranny that ford made. I have no clue why everyone has such bad luck. we owned an older ranger with An A4LD, shifter on the floor, put over 100k on it with no troubles. sold it working perfect.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
The A4LD is really the only bad bad tranny that ford made. I have no clue why everyone has such bad luck. we owned an older ranger with An A4LD, shifter on the floor, put over 100k on it with no troubles. sold it working perfect.
The a4ld is a good trans, but it really needs to be taken care of reguarly.
the current owner may be gentel but who knows about the previous owner. But its tempermental. the more they wear the hotter they run, and heat kills any trans. on that note they should all have an external cooler.

TomTom59

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes sir, new Torque Converter with the tranny. No strange sounds at all.

TomTom59

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Has a good sized external cooler out in front. Think I'll add another one for good measure.

TomTom59

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Update on the A4LD...
Had it worked on locally by Holt Transmission here in Charleston SC. I asked them to replace the front seal. They called the next day and told me it needed rebuilding. $1600.00 later I'm pretty sure I was ripped off. They told me the factory cooler was junk and sold me an aftermarket for about $125. I see the factory cooler is still in place and the aftermarket one is not on board. They say they swapped the tranny but it looks like the old one to me, not very clean or shiny. I bet they only changed the front seal, topped off the fluid and that's about it. What can you do? At the next sign of tranny trouble I just may send it to the crusher and go get an S-10.

Needless to say I DON'T recommend Holt Transmission Service.

Last edited:

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
Put the trans through its paces, and when she blows up take it back under warranty.

but be nice to her and she will love you long time. lol

trikerider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
could well be the vacum modualtor diaphragm is shot and leaking fliud into the vacum port which would cause smoke and other problems

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals