• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD Installation Question

BillupsOMally

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I bolted my A4LD transmission back onto the 4.0L motor that came out of a 1991 Explorer and ran into problems.

I bolted the torque converter to the motor before lifting the transmission into place, supporting it with jacks and jackstands and the slid it into place. The transmission slid into place quite easily right down to the last 3/16", maybe a little more/less, then I drew it in the rest of the way using the mounting bolts.

Now the problem is that the engine won't turn over (wrench on crank pulley), if I crack the nuts loose and back the tranny off just slightly it turns over with an acceptable amount of effort.

I read in a Haynes manual that the torque converter should be installed in the transmission before putting it in. Is this done for a reason (ie. might it solve my "seized" tranny issue), or is it just to ease installation.

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions.

AirborneJordan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
when installing an tranny, The torque converter MUST be installed ALL THE WAY. into the trans first. There is a few "Stages" that the torque converter will go into the tranny by wiggling and spinning the torque converter into the tranny. Also, Make sure that the inner shaft is in the tranny all the way.It is the one that sticks out from the tranny pump that goes inside the torque converter. Sometimes when you pull it, it will come out a little bit. The inner shaft should only be sticking out about 1/2 inch or so. And good luck it can be a real pain.

Last edited:

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry to say but, yes you have killed it. The TQ must be on the transmission and rotated in to place, right turn with pressure on it feel the clunk and repeat that three times, before the transmission is put in.

I actually waited right up until before I bolted the transmission on to seat the TQ on the transmission, that way I KNEW it was seated and had not bumped or worked lose with the transmission being shifted around during maneuvers to get it ready to be bolted on.

I also practiced it before hand so I would know what it felt like as it was seated.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive done what you did and my tranny worked fine afterward.The torque converter has three stages to slide on if it's only on two the motor won't turn over.The problem is as you wrestle the tranny in there it rattles out of the first stage.One more reason to hate the A4LD.If you can build some kind of small clip to hold the torque converter in place it helps.You just about have to set it on its tail end to get it to go all three stages.

BillupsOMally

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all the good answers, I probably should've asked before doing but it came off so smoothly and went back on so smoothly I never thought it wouldn't work. lol

I've had the bell-housing off after the first time I put the tranny in, and checked the gear pump and it was fine so I'm guessing as the above post says I just missed the "third stage" and going to go out and pull and put back in the tranny now. Just going to hope for the best, if not, Parts Truck #2 will start to get torn apart. :icon_welder: :)

BillupsOMally

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update: 5000 miles of heavy towing and several hours of off-road, inhumane, abuse and the transmission's still doing good. I'm just saying because I remembered the replies I got on this thread and just wanted to remind you that conclusions shouldn't be jumped to.

Long live the Ranger!

Happy Holidays.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals