• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD Diagnosis

MikeyK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am wondering if my 87 ranger 4x4 A4LD is savable with a valve body rebuild.
I just picked up this truck cheap knowing it had problems.
I will try to say as much as I know about it.
Clock shows 26k miles so i assume 126k.
old township truck

Park- works, I can rev engine
reverse- Does not move but can feel it do something
Neutral- works as it should
OD- goes into first slips out of second
Drive- goes into first slips out of second
2- works fine
1- works fine

fluid- level is good, is darker, just looks old and used not black or really burnt.
I have read countless posts on a4ld's problems but haven't found anything quite like this. If anyone can diagnose the issue/problems described that would be great.

My plan is to drop the vale body put a shift kit (transgo) and new gaskets in it, reverse servo seal, new filter and fluid. Probably a band adjustment also. I read that if manual 1 and 2 work the bands are good and that reverse servo seals go bad causing loss of reverse.
Also being a 87 I should only have 1 solenoid for tc lock up not the 3/4 one.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
First thing would be to check the modulator on the passenger side of the tranny. Make sure it has manifold vacuum to it and there is no tranny oil in the tubing. If the hose is hard or cracked replace it on both sides of the tubing and see if the tranny shifts in drive. You can install a rebuild valve body but try a oil change and filter first. Pull the tranny cooler lines and blow them out good and drain the torque converter if it has the drain plug.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
It is not recommended to do a partial rebuild on the a4ld. Do all the upgrades as far as hard parts, sprags, bushings, thrust washers, clutches and bands. If not you will be pulling it again within the year. Not going into reverse is the deal breaker the reverse sprag is the last part to come out and the first to go in.

Ledphoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
duh
Engine Size
3.0 and TBD
Transmission
Automatic
Ill bet on a busted 1st reverse band. It will pull in low but tremble shudder or not move in Rev. Typical on those models. No real fix but a rebuild.

MikeyK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You guys both think its toast and needs a rebuild?
Well a valve body rebuild wont hurt as that should be done with a rebuild anyway, right? Ill check modulator, and pray that my valve body is trashed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals