• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A new cold air box for high volume filters

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I don't have a K&N air filter. I've got an off brand. It came with my 3.0 Ranger when I bought it last year. The filter is mounted at the end of the snorkel in the coldest part of the engine bay. There is, however, no shroud around it, nothing to prevent it from inhaling hot air on summer days. Of course the Ranger was originally manufactured with a sealed cold air box. So, I decided to fabricate my own.

I watched a few YouTubes on the subject. A few of those guys went full-on OCD and actually installed insulation inside.

I found a great start by using a square 2 gallon plastic container which once contained Roof Melt Ice Crystals. It was the perfect size. I made a cardboard template that matched the slope of the hood and cut a round hole ro fit the base of the filter. I copied the template onto the side of the container and made the cuts. I cut a second hole in the bottom and fabricated a plastic chute which connected the box to the opening in the radiator wall. Finally, I used foam pipe insulation to seal off the top of the box when the hood is closed down. I only bothered to seal three sides. The whole project took about an hour.

It's still cold here in Minnesota, and way too early to know whether or not the box will have any effect on overall performance: acceleration and mileage. It has certainly not hurt. It muffles the sound a little bit. I kinda liked it better before.

My guess is that the difference will be marginal, but who knows? Maybe it will help on hotter days.

How about you? Have you tried something like this? Was it really worth the while? And if there is great controversy around all this, I could try a road test later this summer.

Attachments

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
A guy on TRS once told me - "Any port in a storm".

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
As Long as it works for you. I'm going to try something similar to my Dad's F-150. He has a "Spectrum" CAI with no BOX.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I thought i should follow up on this after driving for a full summer. I noticed no gains in performance or milage. The box certainly works, but it was totally unnecessary. That corner of the engine bay seemed to stay cold enough.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals