• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A little advice.....

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have searched and read a few pages worth of threads, but havent been able to find a solution to my power steering problem. First off, its a 89 BII and the power steering is nice and quiet.

It has started leaking behind the power steering pulley where the pulley shaft enters the pump. I dont see any other leaks anywhere else. Its throwing a thin line of fluid over on to the washer fluid reservoir and up on the underside of the hood, and of course its getting on the steering box thats underneath.

I am curious to see if anyone has just replaced the seal where the shaft enters the pump, or if that's even possible. I read in another thread that adding a small amount of transmission stop leak may swell the seal enough to stop the leak, and I was wanting some opinions from the experts. So what say you?

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Replace the seal? Possible, but not easy. Plan on breaking the belt pulley. I've never gotten a pulley off without breaking it.
Swelling the seal is only temporary. It will work for a while, but will eventually cause a bigger leak.

The reason the seal fails, usually, is due to a bearing starting to wear out. Plan on replacing the pump. There is an article about replacing it with a better (non-ford type) pump in the Tech Library.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thats what I was thinking too, just wanted some more push in that direction. I might as well do the upgrade while I am at it.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
I've never gotten a pulley off without breaking it.
with the correct tool, and heat it is easiy done. my techs remove/re-install at least one a day without hurting the pulley, in fact there are often rebuild kit available for most p/s pumps for pretty cheap

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have the puller set that I bought for changing the pulley on the power steering on my 02 Crown Vic....haven't looked yet, but I assumed it was usable on this too.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
with the correct tool, and heat it is easiy done. my techs remove/re-install at least one a day without hurting the pulley, in fact there are often rebuild kit available for most p/s pumps for pretty cheap
Not arguing about the pulley, just noting personal experience. Rebuild kits are probably available for most things, but he was asking about just replacing the seal.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Not arguing about the pulley, just noting personal experience. Rebuild kits are probably available for most things, but he was asking about just replacing the seal.

I was kinda hoping someone would pop up and say something like "oh yeah, that seal. No problem, it takes 10 min to replace and costs 12 cents" Wishful thinking obviously but never hurts to ask and see what the opinions are. Since the pump is quiet and working well (other than the leak) it would have been so nice to just replace the seal.

Murphys Law isn't going to let this happen easily anyway. I will either break the pulley or I will break the puller while the pulley comes off cleanly.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I found a seal kit for the power steering pump at NAPA (part #7134) it's less than 8 dollars. I think I may give it a whirl.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals