• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A Couple Dash Board Questions (98)

Still Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 98 Ranger XLT

1. There is a bunch of dirt behind the glass that covers the guages. It is between the glass and the actual guages. Is there an easy way to get behind there to clean it out?

2. Is the cover for the passenger-side air bag removable? It is all scratched-up and I would like to paint it.

Thanks.

caveman_joey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
stock 4 banger
Transmission
Manual
The only way i know of to get that dirt out is to remove the instrument cluster and take the "glass off that covers the actual gauges to clean things up. All in all its not that hard to do and gets easier them more you've done it there are posts on this site about the removal of the instrument cluster. Second the whole passenger side air bag is removable (just recent pulled mine while working on blend door fix) as an assembly and from what i could tell the cover is molded to the airbag it's self and is made to where it is not removable to on it is on but breaks away when the airbag deploys... not 100% certain on that but that is how it appeared to me while i had mine out. Now if you have a good color choice or match in mind for the "cover" it would probably be alot easier to paint it alone outside of the truck if you choose to do so. Also don't forget about the bulbs on the instrument cluster if you pull it out as that would be the ideal time to replace the bulbs blown or not or possibly upgrade to some LED's. Hope this helps some or atleast points you in the right direction.

Still Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. I think I will spray-can with it in place and some drop cloths/masking tape.

I thought about drilling two 1/2" holes on either side of the bottom edge of guage "glass", then using vacuum cleaner. Then, put rubber plugs to seal holes. Don't know how dirt got in there (looks like sand), but it is very visible against the black background.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Thanks. I think I will spray-can with it in place and some drop cloths/masking tape.

I thought about drilling two 1/2" holes on either side of the bottom edge of guage "glass", then using vacuum cleaner. Then, put rubber plugs to seal holes. Don't know how dirt got in there (looks like sand), but it is very visible against the black background.
It will take more time to tape off the air bag then to remove it.

Open the glove compartment past the stops (you have to push the sides in), there are 2 bolts straight up into the air bag. Remove them. Pull the air bag out some, disconnect the connector, and take it someplace better then the inside of your truck to paint it.
Dont forget to disconnect the battery first.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals