• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ranger SAS questions

devinhal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 99 4x4 Ranger and am planning on a SAS this summer on it. I have decided to go with a full width hp d44 from a 79 full size ford and run a coil set up and take the 9" to put in the rear (full width). I am wanting to start the collection of parts and start the prep work so I can do the swap quick and only lose my truck for about a week (this truck is my only vehicle). I have a pretty good idea on what all needs to be done for it to work, but I am still unable to find the answers for a couple questions.

1. How can I connect the current drivelines to the new full width axles?

2. Would it be better to place heim joints at the end of the radius arms and build brackets to connect them to the frame?

3. Do I need to do anything specific for this truck to still be my Daily Driver and be safe on the highways?

4. I am going to use a FJ60 gear box, what parts do I need to gather to connect it to my current steering.

5. Will my current brake master cylinder be powerful enough for the bigger brakes?

This is all I can think of at the moment. Any subjections and advice ya'll can give me would be greatly appreciated.

devinhal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just realized that the speed sensor for the speedo is in the rear differential. Since this is also going to be my DD I need to have a workings speedo. I haven't found any good way to fix this problem when puting an older 9" in the vehicle. So I am going to leave the stock 8.8 in my truck and just regear it.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 99 4x4 Ranger and am planning on a SAS this summer on it. I have decided to go with a full width hp d44 from a 79 full size ford and run a coil set up and take the 9" to put in the rear (full width). I am wanting to start the collection of parts and start the prep work so I can do the swap quick and only lose my truck for about a week (this truck is my only vehicle). I have a pretty good idea on what all needs to be done for it to work, but I am still unable to find the answers for a couple questions.

1. How can I connect the current drivelines to the new full width axles?

2. Would it be better to place heim joints at the end of the radius arms and build brackets to connect them to the frame?

3. Do I need to do anything specific for this truck to still be my Daily Driver and be safe on the highways?

4. I am going to use a FJ60 gear box, what parts do I need to gather to connect it to my current steering.

5. Will my current brake master cylinder be powerful enough for the bigger brakes?

This is all I can think of at the moment. Any subjections and advice ya'll can give me would be greatly appreciated.
1. New driveshafts is one option, or have your current driveshafts modified to work by a driveline shop.

2. I would run a flex joint style joint instead of a heim. Heims tend to wear out faster with DD type trucks do to road grime. Look at something like the ballistic flex joints or a Currie Johnny Joint.

3. Just make sure your welding is good and the design of everything isnt outragous. Steering is setup correctly.

4. You need to decide if your going to run high steer or the factory steering. I would recommend at least going with crossover steering to keep bump steer to a minimum.

5. if you stick with disks in the front and drums in the rear I dont think you will need to change it. But going to a larger MC cant hurt as long as its properly sized for your brakes.

I just realized that the speed sensor for the speedo is in the rear differential. Since this is also going to be my DD I need to have a workings speedo. I haven't found any good way to fix this problem when puting an older 9" in the vehicle. So I am going to leave the stock 8.8 in my truck and just regear it.
Pick up a fullsize 8.8 out of a F150. You get stronger 31 spline shafts, the width and bolt pattern will be correct compared to the front axle and it will have the speed sensor you need.

devinhal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. That info really helped.

What year of F150 would I need to find in order to get one with the sensor hole?

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. That info really helped.

What year of F150 would I need to find in order to get one with the sensor hole?
I think 86 (not positive on this) was the first year of the 8.8 in the F150, all 8.8's had the speed sensor. They used the 8.8's for a long time. Car-part.com lists them as being used from mid 80's till around early 2000's. Should be easy to tell just by looking at them though.

DPoffroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Toreadorranger I agree with all your replies for the most except número 2, road grime and what not (de-icer) will eat the crap out of the bushings they put in those rebuildable bushings, been there. Although on the other hand it's not much to rebuild them but just a pain especially when most the wear comes from daily driving, I've never ran into a problem with high quality chromoly rod ends.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Toreadorranger I agree with all your replies for the most except número 2, road grime and what not (de-icer) will eat the crap out of the bushings they put in those rebuildable bushings, been there. Although on the other hand it's not much to rebuild them but just a pain especially when most the wear comes from daily driving, I've never ran into a problem with high quality chromoly rod ends.
I dont know what flex joints you have ran, but the delrin in a decent set should have no problem when properly greased.

devinhal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok thanks for that it was really helpful. How what would be the best way to connect the new steering box to the factory steering collum?

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
combine your stock steering shaft with the steering shaft from what ever vehicle the steering box you use.

devinhal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok sounds like a plan. The budget i've worked out at the moment is about $2,700. That will get everything rebuilt and regeared. Later I will add some lockers but as a college student, money is in short supply.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals