• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 Ranger Help

onlyme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I been searching the internet for an answer, but still a bit complexed. My 98 Ranger 2.5 has an issue, P0122, high idle, no other codes thrown. I bought this truck with this issue, I did however put a new TPS sensor on the truck, but the idle remains the same. I did test the TPS sensor and connector with a multimeter to make sure it was receiving voltage and ground, and I did the TPS sweep test with the throttle also. There was no spikes or dead spots, and the idle was about .96-.97 volts to 4.5 volts wide open.

I know however that the throttle plate screw was messed with, which I am not sure how to reset correctly. I believe that may be what's causing the issue, I know the truck is suppose to idle at like 750 rpm, but unfortunately my truck does not have a tachometer to read the rpm. Right now when it starts it idles so high it sounds like your cruising down the freeway when in neutral (it's a manual)

Is there a correct way to rest the throttle plate screw to the factory setting?

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
You travel the web... On the other site, I recommended turning the screw CCW. With the engine warmed up, just turn the screw. If you turn it too far, the engine might stall, but you can change it, and re-start the engine. It is not rocket surgery or brain science.
You might consider checking the IAC for cleanliness and operation. It should give a fast cold idle speed, and control idle when the A/C is engaged, or the transmission placed in D or R. If the idle stays high, it could be gummy.
tom

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I would disconnect the IAC and set the idle using the adjustment screw to just above stalling. The main reason the screw is there is to prevent the butterfly from hitting the sides of the throttle valve.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
There are adjustment procedures for setting tps baseline, if you dont have a tach you will need to gain access to a scan tool that shows live data to accomplish this.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

onlyme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't have a tachometer but I do have a scan tool and multimeter, so I removed the IAC even though it is almost new and cleaned it, and set the TPS voltage to .98 at idle and that seemed to fix the problem and clear the code.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals